• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should This Pilot Be Fired?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about stalls, and Captains who do them just for fun on repo legs in the frac world.....against the FOs wishes?

You're confusing the heck out of me by referring to "yearly checks" and "in between checks". The only "yearly checks" in Part 135 are the .299 line check and the .293 competency check. The .293 competency check is for SICs, VFR-only PICs, and may be given to PICs who fly more than one type of airplane and complete their .297 check in the other type airplane. Thus, if you take a .297 check every six months you don't ever need to take a .293 check unless it's in a second type of aircraft. Even then, there are limitations that frequently require .297 checks in all types of aircraft that a pilot flies under Part 135. The point I'm trying to make is that many if not most Part 135 pilots are never required to take an "annual check" other than a line check.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about regarding Part 121. There is no difference between the PC done at six months and the one done annually. Granted, some operators are permitted to substitute simulator training for one of the checks, but that merely eliminates one of the checks, it does not modify it. You might want to look at 121.441 and 121 appendix F if you still disagree.

Re-read 293. It is not for SIC/VFR only.

(a) No certificate holder may use a pilot, nor may any person serve as a pilot, unless, since the beginning of the 12th calendar month before that service, that pilot has passed....................................

(b) No certificate holder may use a pilot, nor may any person serve as a pilot, in any aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 12th calendar month before that service, that pilot has passed a competency check......

Look on the 8410 form. There are different boxes to check for 293, 297 and 299. Any one or all may be checked. Each is a different type of check. A pilot must have a checkmark in the 293 and 299 box every 12 months. The 297 box must be checked every 6 months.

It's all an insignificant argument. Most of these checkrides given in the aircraft are a joke (just like Class 1 medicals). Sims are better.

You guys and your .297 and .293's, do you think anyone really gives a rat a$$, you guys really know how to screw up a thread.

Flame on.

Re-read 293. It is not for SIC/VFR only.

(a) No certificate holder may use a pilot, nor may any person serve as a pilot, unless, since the beginning of the 12th calendar month before that service, that pilot has passed....................................

(b) No certificate holder may use a pilot, nor may any person serve as a pilot, in any aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 12th calendar month before that service, that pilot has passed a competency check......

Look on the 8410 form. There are different boxes to check for 293, 297 and 299. Any one or all may be checked. Each is a different type of check. A pilot must have a checkmark in the 293 and 299 box every 12 months. The 297 box must be checked every 6 months.

It's all an insignificant argument. Most of these checkrides given in the aircraft are a joke (just like Class 1 medicals). Sims are better.

You won't give up, will you? I'll make one last try to clarify what I've already posted:

The reason I stated the .293 check was PRIMARILY for VFR PIC's and SIC's was the section of 135.293 you choose to ignore:

(c) The instrument proficiency check required by §135.297 may be substituted for the competency check required by this section for the type of aircraft used in the check.

What is the point of giving an IFR PIC an additional check that's not required by the FARs? I realize some check airmen check off the .293 block for whatever reason once a year. But, if they think .293 requires maneuvers in addition to those required by .297, they're confused.

And, what do you mean by the statement that it's all insignificant because airplane checks are a joke and sims are better? I don't disagree that sims are a better tool. But, the same regulations apply and the same maneuvers are required regardless of whether an aircraft or a level B, C, or D sim is used.

You guys and your .297 and .293's, do you think anyone really gives a rat a$$, you guys really know how to screw up a thread.

Flame on.

I suggest you ignore posts that annoy you. But, I'd guess most pilots who actually fly IAW Part 135 might have some interest in differing opinions of the checkride requirements.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back