Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I Major in Commercial Aviation?!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ditto

Oh yeah forgot the acedemic side. That laptop thing is new they didn't require it when I was there. They do bend you over without lube with plane costs, I remeber a seminole costing $220 w/o instructors. The whole D!ckhead instructors thing is true, fortunately my time there was spent under the tutilage of great guys that became drinking buddies on occasion. But rest assure the guys who think they're some sh!t hot throttle jockey is quickly crushed when they get to an airline, I've seen it first hand and even had to curtail some snotty FO feeding me som "co-captain" B.S. I was there for five years and they only canceled school once due to weather which that following weekend prompted a "NO SCHOOL KENDALL" chant for anybody that remembers the old pres Kendall Baker. Also, don't expect to have any decision making skills, unless its 5000 foot ceilings, a gazillion miles of visibility, with less than ten knots of cross wind, and no thunderstorms in the tri state area, you ain't flyin'. Unfortunately they don't have the option now (I think) that I had, you only had to get a com mult eng inst. which allowed for a real minor and with a lil' more effort a double major.

You know the more a recollect the more I can't figure out why I went there in the first place.

On the flip side being that there is a heavy scandinavian flavor, a lot of six foot blond haired blue eyed hunnies. The accent takes time to get use to, watch the movie "Fargo" for reference.

YES,

1) HUGE retirements in the next 10 years!

2) Do NOT TAKE A LOW PAYING JOB JUST TO BUILD FLIGHT TIME!

3) WE ALL MUST STICK TOGETHER TO REBUILD THE PROFESSION!

Sometimes they look for the guy that puts that foot forward and wants it more than the next guy and a degree in Commercial Aviation proves you're that guy. I'd say go for it.

Retirements v. attrition

NOMORERJS said:
HUGE retirements in the next 10 years!
Kit Darby has said that for the past twenty years in promoting his "pilot shortage" - and we know how true that is. In addition, we don't know that the jobs vacated by retirements will be filled. They very well could go away by way of attrition.

There will always be some hiring, but not in the boom proportions of earlier times.

Last edited:
Go do the aviation thing at UND- but only if you truly want to fly for a living and enjoy flying. Getting into aviation is a long road that includes some pretty nasty jobs along the way, but if you truly love to fly, the rewards are worth it.

I've met people both at flight school and at the airlines that only got into the industry because of the "money and prestige" they would get. Most of those students washed out, and most of them that made it to the airlines are now busy making life miserable for everyone around them. You have to do it because you love it.
I don't think you said- have you taken any flight lessons already? You might not even know if flying is for you.

An E.E. degree can make you some money too. I don't know how the job market is for that right now, but I suspect it's currently better than aviation. Like others have said, Aviation Management would be a good way to get some of your ratings and still have skills to fall back on.

Don't forget to report Lagoon inbound! (what Civil Engineering genius would put the waste treatment pond upwind from the city? :rolleyes: )

EagleRJ said:
Don't forget to report Lagoon inbound! (what Civil Engineering genius would put the waste treatment pond upwind from the city? :rolleyes: )
You mean that was human waste I was swimming in??? Awww, DUDE!!!!

Originally posted by GogglesPisano
My advice is to drink heavily.

If I only decided to ignore that advice when I got to college...

Seriously though, I would consider getting a degree in something outside aviation...it will serve as a good backup. I'm graduating with a BA in psychology (not much good by itself) so I'm going for more school, master's here I come. Take the time now to get the education, it will only benefit you. And boy does it FLY BY! Fly on the side. If you can go to a local FBO get your CFI and start flying at your university. Start a flying club at your university to attract potential students, offer intro flights, that kinda thing. By the time you graduate you might have enough time to go directly to a regional. I say have a backup plan, you NEVER KNOW what this industry will do.

On a side note, I thought about rushing through college and/or going to a flight school too so I could start flying. Am I glad I didn't do that! College is the best 8 years of your life.:D

Those are just my thoughts anyway.

Non-aviation degree

I would consider getting a degree in something outside aviation...it will serve as a good backup . . . .
. . . but it will be most effective if you get some experience in your degree field. If you get a non-aviation degree and fly for several years without gaining that experience, your degree won't be an effective backup.

Of course, any degree is better than none because a four-year degree opens doors that otherwise slam shut. That is still another reason why I like an aviation degree.

I would highly recommend a somewhat smaller college aviation program, They are a lot more reasonable as far as costs (still under a hundred bucks an hour with brand new airplanes here), and the training is still very good. Personally i go to the University of Oklahoma. In my opinion this is a very good size program, you get the personalism of a small school, but you still get the bigger school connections, for example OU has a bridge program with American Eagle for their turbine transnsition program where you get to go through ground school and sim training at Eagle in the same class as new hires, or if you don't want to do that you can still fly the schools King Air for turbine transition. We have gotten several ex riddle/sparten students, especially lately. While a smaller college program doesn't have the same recognition as Riddle/UND/Spartan, it works out very well for some people. Lots of schools have programs, Kansas State, OSU, Purdue etc. etc. Just my .02 cents

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back