Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I buy my own Type rating to get a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GV Flyer: don't forget to mention that C.K. had a father who was a corporate pilot with great experience and connections.

Other stories heard, outside USA:
A 25 years old boy who was hired on a G-V with 280TT...
One VVIP 767 F/O was hired with less than 1000TT...

Do Not Buy Your Type...

You're building multi-turbine PIC which is always a good thing. You have 2300TT and 1000 in the King Air. That means you got into the KA with 1300TT. Sounds like you already have a good insurance company if they let you fly as captain @ 1300hrs. I'm 100% positive you'd be insurable in a jet with your current times.

Are you based in the middle of nowhere? There must be some networking opportunities near you. What about the airports you fly into? Flying PT91, 500hrs/yr means you must go to the same places A LOT. Are you meeting other pilots on your layovers?

Keep your chin up and good luck!!!

It's not *that* expensive, in the greater scheme of things, to send a pilot to initial training (with or without type it's about the same.) What they don't want is somebody bailing on them after a couple months.

PIC in a King Air is good experience. Wyvern demands lots of multi, and lots of multi PIC, and multi turbine PIC, so I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get into a jet. Especially not a Citation, or a 20/30 series Lear. A mid size or bigger would be worth holding out for, for money and decent employment opportunites.

I would keep trying, and emphasize the maturity/stability factor, that you're married, your wife has a job there, you don't want to go to a regional, etc.

If it the C.K. I think you are talking about his gig is FLL with his father I believe.

Valkyrie said:
GV Flyer: don't forget to mention that C.K. had a father who was a corporate pilot with great experience and connections.

Other stories heard, outside USA:
A 25 years old boy who was hired on a G-V with 280TT...
One VVIP 767 F/O was hired with less than 1000TT...

If you want to buy a type..... Buy a 737 type and try for Southwest Airlines.... That would be the only type rating I would even consider buying....

Latest resources

Back