Should Delta Spin Off Comair and ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I just posted this on the Major forum as well.

So, should Delta spin off Comair and ASA? I can't see how operating Comair and ASA is a requirement for providing a "quality" product - Skywest and CHQ provide good service and are not wholly owned... What is the benefit of full ownership in this case? Continental spun off most of Continental Express (CO still retains some ownership) and they still work reasonably well together - Continental derives the same benefits as before.

I can think of the following advantages/disadvantages for the various constituencies involved:

Advantages for Delta Airlines:

1. Much needed cash infusion (hundreds of $millions)
2. Less financing debt for new RJs
3. Better operating cost transparency - can't hide RJ costs
4. Lower operating costs provided by increased competition among all regionals COMPETING for feeder service
5. Maintain operational consistency through competition for contracts - better be on time or we will work with CHQ or Mesa instead...
6. Fewer HR hassles - avoid potential Comair-like strike in the future if it can work with many other regionals to potentially cover hubs (reduces operational risk for Delta)

Advantages for Comair/ASA pilots:

1. Ability to increase fleet through working with multiple airline partners instead of just Delta
2. Potentially new bases for flying outside of Delta system (any work for other airlines)

Disadvantages for Comair/ASA pilots:

1. Lower pilot wages most likely required in order to compete for business with Delta or other airlines - must have low operating costs to maintain some profitability while bidding for work
2. Compete with Mesa, CHQ and others for feeder contracts
3. Any RJ growth would require debt on Comair/ASA balance sheet which would not be guaranteed by Delta - more expensive for a smaller company

I don't see why Delta NEEDS to continue to own ASA and Comair. There are not that many operational benefits - Skywest and CHQ already work well with Delta and don't require ownership. Continental spun off COEX and retains benefits. Delta could use the cash and yet still maintain high service level standards by forcing all regional carriers interested in working with Delta to contractually agree to high quality standards.

So, what do you think? Should Delta spin off Comair and ASA? Everyone agrees that Delta could use the cash... Continental has done it successfully. If not, what are the benefits of retaining Comair and ASA given that other regional partners (CHQ and Skywest) are proving to be great partners without DAL ownership?

Any thoughts? Yes or no to spin off of Comair and ASA?

Last edited:
The regional subset is proportional to the sub-strata that has permeated the major/regional mindset. For example, you mentiod the CAL holding company as one example of the mainstream major to regional exhibition. CAL holdings, Inc. has substantially increased its pension funding through the sale of XJT stock via the spinoff. While a lesser company would dictate otherwise, mainly due to ignorance, neither a diatribe or a mantra has developed in the marketplace for an airline seat. Things just are the way they are. Now, to be more clear, misalignment in the seat mile agreement due to cost infusions from the pricing index have reiterated and reinforced the marketing skeptics' viewpoints on seat mile arrangemnt costs and structural balance within a route segment. To put it bluntly and frankly, as a CEO once explained, "We expect to sell our seat inventory to the public at a wholesale markup which is a formulary derivative of our market share divided by seat miles per segment added to our return fares minus labor costs, plus a marginal margin markup to allocate appropriate share value to resource development". To be even more clear on the vast subject, one must assume three things: 1. airlines fly airplanes 2. CEO's are responsible to the share holders for share value and 3. employee costs can be variable. Ceteris Paribus, there are 1,000's of variables that can ruin an airline's route line markdown cost. Let's elaborate some more on the routing of the airframe. "Gauging", the marketing practice of putting the right plane on the right route is one that requires excellent planning, excellent computer skills as well as an appreciation for rap music.

Goto

www.executivessaynothingwhentheytalk.com/airlineceo

Sincerely,

B. "that' s how you debate"(- old school) Franklin

I've wondered the same thing...

If ASA and/or Comair are sold, I hope any potential buyer demands the transaction includes all firm orders and options which were placed prior to DAL's purchase of either/both carriers. That might cause DAL to think twice.

In late 1998/early 1999, I looked at the fleet numbers for all Delta Connection carriers. All jets currently on the "property," plus firm orders and options totaled over 500 airframes...50 and 70 seat versions. That total includes ASA, Comair and SkyWest. ACA and Chataqua were not part of the DCI network.

Given the current economic environment for airlines, in general, I wonder if there are any serious buyers out there. As DAL moves closer to a potential CH 11 BK filing, the price they could command for such a sale falls dramatically. Someone could acquire a viable Part 121 carrier for near fire sale prices.

Spinning off refers to selling shares to the public - NOT SELLING TO ANOTHER CORPORATE ENTITY OR AIRLINE. COEX was sold to the public although Continental still retains an equity stake.

Selling to the public (public shares) in this case.

Yes or no and why?

Yes, but don't just stop there.

Great idea, however, you should carry the idea all the way through. Not only should Comair and ASA be spun off, but all entities of Delta should be offered as separate operations ala the breakup of AT&T into the what were called the "Baby Bells."

Song, Delta Express, and Delta Shuttle are already distinct operations but there could also be new divisions established. How about Delta Domestic, Delta Pacific, Delta Caribbean, and Delta Atlantic?

Can't stop now, I'm on a roll!

They could also establish Delta Central America, Delta Atlanta Regional Transit Authority (DARTA), and my favorite, Delta Flies The Delta Airlines.

By splitting up the entire airline as opposed to say, Continental Express' spin-off, each entity and their fragmented operations staffs will be able to enjoy the benefits of free capitalism and not be saddled with the half billion dollar note to fund pension plans they themselves (other than CALEx management, of course) will never achieve. With your stunning logic, Heavy Set, we can look forward to many years of cut throat competition as each pilot group is pitted against another in the true spirit of unionism. Who needs management when we have a master of industry such as yourself to come up with ideas like this?

Be careful, you might get what you wish for ... and maybe a wee bit more.:rolleyes:

I think most Comair and ASA pilots would be happy if they sold us, as it would give us more room for growth. However, I think you forgot the reason Delta purchased them in the first place. Remember when BizEx was a Delta Connection feeder out of Boston? Then, one day, American bought them and made them part of Eagle. Delta realized that if they lost their feed to another carrier, they would not have all the traffic and would have to replace the feed somehow, or pay someone who they are competing with. So, they bought their two largest regioinal partners, and now nobody can take them away.

Also, just because Comair gets sold, doesnt mean we have to take lower wages to compete for flying. There is far more to our business than just crew costs, and it's the other "regionals" that need to bring up the slack. I can't believe someone such as yourself is advocating someone take a pay cut, especially when you think we are taking your jobs away anyway. That makes no sense.

Skydiverdriver,

I have never been an ADVOCATE for lower salaries - especially in my current situation. Mesa has already done a great job of lowering the bar for everyone - especially if it operates the rumored 737-300 operation in the near future.

Your point about salaries not being the only component under consideration ("There is far more to our business than just crew costs") is a great point - and it is THE SAME POINT used by the mainline Delta pilots - their salaries are not the only expense items that need to be reviewed in light of the new LCC environment (although they get most of the attention). What about a revenue-generating plan that will actually work? Get my point?

However, IF a separate Comair/ASA were to compete in the future with CHQ or Mesa for regional growth at Delta or other airlines, I doubt Comair's management would look favorably upon higher-than-average regional salaries... Even current growth at both ASA and Comair might be reduced if lower-cost alternatives like CHQ and Skyway are used more and more.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back