shortest runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USMCmech said:
This one is 1200 ft long on a steep slope and is CURVED!

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/WV/Airfields_WV_SW.htm#swope

WOW, read the story on this one...:eek:

This private airfield is remarkable for a short runway which is both sharply curved, and steeply sloped. Its sole Runway 7/25 is extremely short (only 1,250'), but also slopes sharply downhill: dropping from 1,800' elevation to 1,665' - a grade of 11%!

The airfield was built & operated by W.O. Swope, an avid flyer since 1947.He purchased the land for the airfield in 1963, and immediately began planning & construction for an extremely unusual runway, given the very unaccommodating topography.

Swope based & flew a twin-engine Beechcraft Baron (!) and a helicopter from the airfield, until passing away in 2001, at age 86. He logged a total of 3,000 takeoffs & landings into the Swope Farm airfield. Swope only had one eye.

Takeoffs were made downhill, and landings were made uphill. The helicopter could only be landed at the very top of the runway, as the lower portion of the runway was too steep.

The hangar was originally located at the bottom of the runway.However, it was moved to the top of the runway after an unfortunate incident in which Swope's brakes overheated going downhill, and he had to dump the plane in the brush to avoid hitting the hangar.

I always took my good students to this one . If for no other reason, because the name of the airfield fits - Sudden Stop. I see now they no longer allow that.

Or if we were hungry we got catfish just north of there at this airport. Ok, so that one's not less than 1500, but still fun.

Both links have pictures.

Last edited:
mattpilot said:
sikorsky's (sp?) factory has a nice one. Its actually 2 runways intersecting. Can't remember where that one is located at :(

But it looks really cool.

The heliport you are refering to is just north (about 5 miles) of bridgeport, CT (BDR). I just flew over it the other day, it looks like a really cool place. They actaully have a control tower there, so watch out for those airspace incursions. ;)

The co-pilot I was with that day bet me that I could'nt stop the PC-12 on that runway (mayby a 1000' or so). NO WORRIES! Might ask to try it someday, without PAX on board, of course. :D

sqwkvfr said:
I heard somewhere that Denver has a 16000ft RWY.:)

They were planning one until the realized that 747s would have to attain 220 - 240 knots before they could rotate with the airplane loaded to make Hawaii in 90 degrees during the summers. Tires haven't been designed for that yet. 10 years after it openned, no new longer runway.

KMER in Atwater is only 150 feet long... but it's 12,000 feet wide ;)

what? :p

Latest resources

Back