Shortage of Helicopter Pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Birdstrike said:
Because their insurance companies would never underwrite that risk for you to be a commercial PIC at 500+ hrs. And I wouldn't let my dog fly with you at 550 hrs unless you're the SIC. Nothing personal, you just don't know what you don't know yet. But you will soon enough.

I know, my post was pretty much in jest. If there were such a shortage of helo pilots, the mins would have to drop sooner or later, supply and demand, yadda yadda yadda.

Birdstrike said:
You're over half-way there; do what you did to get 500 hrs one more time, then you'll have 1000 and PHI will interview you.

What, and sell my soul back to the Army for another 7 years? HA!

Seriously tho, if I really decided to pursue a helo career, I'd look for an ANG/AF Res helo unit to join up with. Bottom line, if you want to fly helicopters for a living, don't start out as an Army commissioned officer. ;)

helo pilots

PHI has been hiring a lot of CFIs in the past few years...My father flew for them for 24+ years and when he started they had few if any civilian / CFI types - mostly military pilots back then...Recently i've been told a lot of 20 somethings flying for PHI...I think about it , but I'll never fill his shoes and would rather avoid being compared to him...I'll always come up short in the flying area...:)

-LA

The recruiter at Air Methods said that the mins will have to drop. They have so many openings for EMS they don't know what to do. The reason mainly is the pay. Most helo pilots try and crossover to fix wing to make the big money at the airlines.

Pay @ helo companies

Pay has gone up since the 80s / 90s...PIC @ PHI just starting out can make in the 40K range without any work-over. Thats much better than at a regional as an F/O...With work-over you can easily exceed 65K or more a year. Get involved in training and you'll do even better...However, If you're like my father and want to remain a line pilot mentoring the younger pilots then work-over is the way to go and you can make an excellent living...If you want to chase money use the job as a source of income and CFI / buy time from a FBO on your week off...There are many options out there...

V/r,
LA

65K isn't bad in certain areas but someplaces they wouldn't go very far. But if your wife was making that much also it would livable.

Latest resources

Back