Shortage of Helicopter Pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jeb

Is there a shortage of pilots now? Our company is doing some financing and leaseing to a company that is a flight school and 135 operator. I was surprised at what the cost of flight training in helicopters is costing now. Their current rate is $60,000-65000.00, they claim they have full classes and a waiting list. After completion you get hired by the company and work as a flight instructor, then you can go onto other areas of the company. I ran into a Army friend who is now flying for PHI and he claims they arre short pilots now, I remember 15 years ago who PHI was advertising in alot of publications for pilots and starting pay was around 28,000. Maybe we have reached that point again.

Shortage of Helo Drivers?

There may be a shortage now, but once the Army releases it's "Stop Loss" the market will be flooded with OIF/OEF Vets. Guys with thousands of hours of flight time.

Our company is doing some financing and leaseing to a company that is a flight school and 135 operator...Their current rate is $60,000-65000.00, they claim they have full classes and a waiting list.

That wouldn't happen to be Silver State, AKA the Evil One(s), would it?

Say it isn't so.

I was looking for a kid to mow my lawn the other day. I was willing to pay 3 bucks to cut my 1.5 acres. I didn't have any takers. I call it a "Shortage" of lawn mowers in my neighborhood.

The kids in my neighborhood disagree.

The company I used to work for as a camera operator is always shortr a few pilots. Their name is "Metro Networks" flying R44's for ENG. Anywho theyre outta ATL but have about 50 birds across the country in almost every city.

R44?

I don't know about the R44, but this is the only R22 I've seen that is useful. lol.... Just kidding.... A little jab at the R22 guys out there

If there's a shortage of helicopter pilots, then why can't I find someone to hire me at 550 hours helo time (all turbine, 350+ multiengine)???

If there's a shortage of helo pilots, why won't insurance co's drop mins to something less than 2000 hours?

I know many military guys getting ready to retire upon completion of Iraq tours with 4000+ hours. My guess is mins won't drop anytime soon...

schoolio said:
If there's a shortage of helicopter pilots, then why can't I find someone to hire me at 550 hours helo time (all turbine, 350+ multiengine)???
Because their insurance companies would never underwrite that risk for you to be a commercial PIC at 500+ hrs. And I wouldn't let my dog fly with you at 550 hrs unless you're the SIC. Nothing personal, you just don't know what you don't know yet. But you will soon enough.

As you do know, in the helo world, 1500-2000 hr guys are considered "low-timers". You're over half-way there; do what you did to get 500 hrs one more time, then you'll have 1000 and PHI will interview you.

schoolio said:
If there's a shortage of helo pilots, why won't insurance co's drop mins to something less than 2000 hours?
Have you seen the commercial helo safety record? Especially in EMS? It isn't pretty. If mins go anywhere, they're likely to go back up before they go down.

Latest resources

Back