• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Short of mins for SWA, Fed ex, UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying jumpers for free or not won't do much. These companies are not short of pilots, they're not waiting for someone to hit the mins, so they can bring'em in. These days you have to exceed the mins by a good 1000 hours.

It is going to be a long time until FedEx hires again. Very few are leaviing at 60 and over 60 FEs coming back to a window seat are causing backwards movement. The suits are saying no hiring for a couple years - I'd day at least that. Its a triple whammy - weak economy, trading 3-seat aircraft for 2-seat aircraft, and geezers excessing us out of seats. I just saw where about 5 of my favorite 727 Captains are heading back to the right seat.

Seniority sucks doesn't it. Don't worry when you get old you will be thankful for it.

I was hired at my current job with less than 1000pic. I fell short by around 150 hrs. Upgrade is no where in site. I would like to have the option to apply at SWA, UPS, Fedex when they start hiring again. Any suggestions? My current employer requires us to report any other flying we do commercially to them.

Remember that 1000 PIC can be a moving target. I believe SWA moved it to 1300 a few years back for a little bit. Competitive mins are even more difficult and ever changing. A few years back a 737 type rating prior to the interview was close to mandatory and competitive PIC times in addition to having the type rating were 1700 PIC and up. I don't work for SWA, I am just writing what I have read on these message boards over the years. Getting the magic PIC number of 1000 in difficult hiring times matters a lot more if you know someone at the company you want to get into.

I was hired at my current job with less than 1000pic. I fell short by around 150 hrs. Upgrade is no where in site. I would like to have the option to apply at SWA, UPS, Fedex when they start hiring again. Any suggestions? My current employer requires us to report any other flying we do commercially to them.

Just my opinion, but I don't think I could get called for an interview at SWA right now and I have around 3000 turbine 121 PIC, and 1000+ of that is in an MD80. Why? I am not typed in the 737, a lot of guys with 737 time and types are looking for jobs right now, and I would assume the age 60 rule has helped fill SWA's openings with former SWA pilots. The hiring window is about closed right now after being wide open about a year ago.

It is going to be a long time until FedEx hires again. Very few are leaviing at 60 and over 60 FEs coming back to a window seat are causing backwards movement. The suits are saying no hiring for a couple years - I'd day at least that. Its a triple whammy - weak economy, trading 3-seat aircraft for 2-seat aircraft, and geezers excessing us out of seats. I just saw where about 5 of my favorite 727 Captains are heading back to the right seat.

Had a FEDEX jumpseater tell me yesterday that 2010 is what is being put out now as far as hiring goes.

Hate to say it, but you are going to have some serious competition for those few coveted jobs at SWA or anywhere else. The furlough flood gates are about to open, most all recalled UAL FO's that were on the 737 got free types. Guess where we are all applying. Good luck to you, hell good luck to all of us. No cap on the price of oil anywhere in sight, no help from our beloved govt, we are all about to eat a big S^&% sandwhich.

I think geezers sucked even before mesa did. GGGGGGGGGEEEEZZZZZZZEEEEERRRRRRRRRSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK

SWA is a bit of a different animal for an interview call. I didnt know anyone there and got a interview invite when I had around 1900 jet PIC and 5000 total. They definitely do things different... you never know with them. They key with any company is consistently updating your app and networking where possible.

Im not sure how the interview would have turned out as I wasnt going to pay for a 737 type unless offered a job... I have heard they like to see it. I didnt go to the interview as I was already in class at my current employer.

Long story short, you can apply...but required mins and competitive mins for a call are two very different animals. Around 2000 jet pic is generally competitive at most places. With furloughs and such out sniffing for jobs, things tend to skyrocket up, unfortunately.

Well we can't even get the PD folks to give us a solid number as to what will be competitive, and we see them just about every day going to or from lunch. Honestly I don't even think they know themselves.

But just common sense says that having a type in hand will be a plus. Having jet PIC will be a plus. Having more than just the bare mins will be a plus.

Rumor floating around down here is that they will be interviewing some without the type as well. I would assume that those without the type will need gobs of PIC time though. That's just my personal opinion though.

But as someone else said, you never know who they (SWA) will invite for an interview. However PIC hours seem to be key.

But this is a very difficult time right now. Only a couple airlines hiring and there are thousands of qualified applicants out there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back