Shebles flight school

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

I was thinking of doing my Instrument rating there (10 days). I am in need of some advice from some people who have already been there. I know they are in Kingman AZ now. Also if you did go there...whats the best way to get there? I was thinking of flying into kingman or into LAS. All replies are appreciated! Thanks

It costs about $100 to fly commercial into Kingman from Phoenix. Also, Im not sure if you're aware of this, but Sheble's doesn't fly out of LAS, they fly out of Henderson (HND) which is a suburb of Vegas. I used to live in Kingman and I've talked to many of their students at that operation (**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good Milkshakes and food at Wickers Airport Cafe). For the most part, they seemed pretty happy with their training. I heard nothing but good things about the instructors. In fact, one thing that sticks out in my mind about Sheble's is that the instructors were mostly older dudes, and they didn't seem to hire their own students on as instrutors. Just remember I was an outsider looking in, so I may be wrong. I believe they have an examiner or two on staff up in the HND location and they'll probably have you fly up there for the checkride. I think they had about 25 to 40 students at the IGM location and the HND location was considerably bigger. Don't expect to learn more than you need for the checkride, however, as they tend to get down to busines and have you out the door ASAP. Overall a pretty good deal.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Hello,

I went to Sheble's for my multi and instructor ratings. I highly recommend them for all the ratings except the private and instrument. Sheble's will prepare you for a checkride, but there is a lot more to the private and instrument than what you'll see on the checkride.

I always recommend that people do instrument training at an FBO in their area so you get to know the IFR enviornment you'll be operating in. Also I urge people to fly new(er) airplanes with modern avionics and an IFR GPS. To a large extent the instrument rating is an avionics rating and the learning the new avionics will make you a much better/safer pilot.

Scott

Sheble's

I got my ATP at Sheble's 13½ years ago when he was still in Blythe, California. I arrived at 4:00 p.m. and left about noon the next day with my ATP. I liked my instructor and was satisfied overall with the experience.

You need to be well prepared, though, if you go to Sheble's to pick up a rating. I had a friend who went there a couple of months before to earn his multi. He logged the magnanimous total of about four hours in the airplane! He brought me all the gouge on the Duchess they were using. That helped. I knew they were using the BLH VOR and ILS approaches, which we had programmed into our sims at Riddle. So, I spent a good eight hours in the sim practicing these approaches. They gave the NDB approach in some strange old ground trainer that did not come close to "flying" like an airplane.

sstearns2 has it right. The place will prepare you for the checkride. But, you have to be prepared beforehand before you arrive there.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
did CFII and MEI at shebles. I recomend them for the advanced ratings. Not sure about a "foundation" rating like initial IFR

ditto I've read a few post that continue to restate the above I actually know a guy there right now PM me with any specific questions and I can pass them on to see if we can get them answered I believe you should take your time on the instrument there's a lot of info to know for that ticket

Great luck to ya

I concur with the other postings about Shebles. I earned my initial Commercial at the Henderson location about a year ago. They are good at preparing people for a checkride but as far teaching an entire instrument course... If you want to do your IFR rating quickly I would recommend Professional Instrument Courses (PIC). They specialize in doing Instrument ratings in about 10 days. While some people don't agree with this type of accelerated training, I thought it was very effective. An experienced instructor brings a Frasca simulator to your house. You practice on the simulator in the morning, then you practice in the airplane in the afternoon.

Where ever you go for your instrument rating they should have a FAA approved simulator. A simulator is much more efficient and effective than an airplane for teaching basic instrument skills. That means it saves you the student money.

I went there for my CFII and MEI

I wouldn't go there for a big one like the instrument, they cut alot of corners there. You won't learn everything you really need to know.

No BS there, you go, pay, and you leave in the time they say with your ticket. Money well spent if that is what you want.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back