Settle a Debate-VOR Checks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rick James

For those flying "glass" airplanes using GPS and/or IRU's, do yo perform VOR checks? I'm of the opinion that it's required as we list it on our equipment suffix(s) and the FMS(s) use information from the VOR's. I can't find anything in writing to support my position, any help? Thanks!

For 135 ops to fly under Op Spec B-43/35, with a single GPS, you must have functioning redundant class I Navigation displayed in the cockpit. Normally VOR on the RMI and F/O's panel. Therefore it must be checked and logged every 40 days.

we do, but is it necessay with glass? I have never seen one that needed adjustment.

VOR check, as in the 30-day VOR check that is required per 91.171?

Aircraft using GPS for navigation have to have backup navigation:

AIM 1-1-19(d)(1)(b) said:
(b) Aircraft using GPS navigation equipment under IFR must be equipped with an approved and operational alternate means of navigation appropriate to the flight. Active monitoring of alternative navigation equipment is not required if the GPS receiver uses RAIM for integrity monitoring. Active monitoring of an alternate means of navigation is required when the RAIM capability of the GPS equipment is lost.

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea how an IRU applies to the situation, but I'd suspect the Administrator would want 30-day VOR checks performed even on planes with IRUs

VOR check, as in the 30-day VOR check that is required per 91.171?

Aircraft using GPS for navigation have to have backup navigation:

[/FONT]

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea how an IRU applies to the situation, but I'd suspect the Administrator would want 30-day VOR checks performed even on planes with IRUs
91.171-Yes, that's what Im referring to (Part 91 operators). The AIM reference is interesting, but is it regulatory?

just do a dual check every 30 days, we do it every couple of weeks and note it in our log. not a big deal and you are covered.

One question I have always had is, we have two radios and 3 heads.
When we do the dual check, do we have to check and log each of the 3 heads?
Ie
Nav 1 head 1 200degrees
Nav 1 head 2 198degrees
Nav 2 head 3 201degrees

Rik - Yes. The regulation to check a VOR does not have an exception.

Gravity Hater - Yes. The requirement is for each VOR to be checked and it may be checked against another VOR.

For 135 ops to fly under Op Spec B-43/35, with a single GPS, you must have functioning redundant class I Navigation displayed in the cockpit. Normally VOR on the RMI and F/O's panel. Therefore it must be checked and logged every 40 days.
Every 40 days?

Latest resources

Back