• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Settle a bet...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't sweat it redhat. That's about the amount of time that I have, and it won't be an issue. Besides, I've heard that a lot of majors don't even check military guys log books. So just use a mulitiplier that make the numbers work out. That's what I'm going to do.

Quotes like this just makes me sick. Use your multiplier and pad your logbook and get your job by taking the position from someone who has real experience.

Maybe there should be multipliers for those of us with hard 121 time at a regional in the northern states flying in the winter with icing and down to mins all the time. Maybe there should be multipliers for those of us who served over 10 years in the military sleeping under the stars.

I know there has always been a special place in the hearts of military guys for others like them who want to get a job but come on! I guess life is not fair

Quotes like this just makes me sick. Use your multiplier and pad your logbook and get your job by taking the position from someone who has real experience.

Maybe there should be multipliers for those of us with hard 121 time at a regional in the northern states flying in the winter with icing and down to mins all the time. Maybe there should be multipliers for those of us who served over 10 years in the military sleeping under the stars.

I know there has always been a special place in the hearts of military guys for others like them who want to get a job but come on! I guess life is not fair

I agree! What should the multiplier be for SP 135 in turbine freighters up north?

I have no intention of joining the ANG. A friend of mine seems to think that an ANG job is an automatic right seat at a major and I just wanted to get a picture of what the real deal is (or as "real" as FI can provide).

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
There seems to be a little misconception here regarding 'multipliers' for mil time.

It's been a while for me, and I don't recall the specifics, but I seem to remember some airlines permitted a multiplier for total time and some an additive per sortie. Personally, I always thought the additive method was most fair as fighter pilots were robbed of time using a multiplier with their high sortie count versus (usually) lower flight time as compared with trash haulers, gas passers and bombers with similar time in service.

Either way, it's not a pad as some here seem to think, but rather a way of turning military apples (takeoff to landing) into commercial oranges (block to block). Military pilots still need to de-ice, fly approaches to minimums, deal with cargo and passenger issues (whether that passenger is a living being or hung ordinance), etc, and put themselves into harm's way for the rest of us.

I wouldn't sweat it redhat. That's about the amount of time that I have, and it won't be an issue. Besides, I've heard that a lot of majors don't even check military guys log books. So just use a mulitiplier that make the numbers work out. That's what I'm going to do.

you forgot to mention your soon to be CP friend shoeing you in.........

Good for air tran... I say that with full respect- you can chuckle bc you have the military hookups- but if performance and attitude are actually important to an airline - I'd require fighter guys to get some regional 121 time as well.

That said- if you can get military experience and serve your country at the same time- why would you not. As was pointed out- ANG is a great fallback- the best of all worlds would be to join that unit and be able to have another job to build time- plenty of pilots in the regionals who fill this bill-

and if you want to talk qualified- a 121 rj or tp capt/ang fighter pilot- that will impress any pilot, much less a recruiter.

Seriously? Why would one airline that at the time was a national airline, just on the fringe of being a major exclude a certain group of people when every other airline didn't seem to have a problem with it. Total time, nor the fact that I flew fighters, has absolutely nothing to do with my performance and attitude. I flew fighters or trainers for 10 years before joining CAL. The person on the seniority list next to me went the civilian track, CFI, regionals for 10 years after college as well...it must be shocking to you that in training our performance (and attitude) was similar. Most of the majors get this....Air Tran is losing out on some pilots that may be interested as a result. Their loss.....

Latest resources

Back