• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Seriously short landings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice find. Makes me miss flying in the homeland. I still have a copy of Mountain Pilot where they explain how to do those water landings on wheels. No one believes me until they see the pics. Maybe ill show em that video from now on instead.

mcjohn said:
Don't know if anyone has posted this before but it is a must see.
I'm thinking about buying his DVD. Also, don't miss the 46 pics. They are some of the most beautiful aviation photos I've ever seen.
Would anyone like to go do his course with me? It says bring a friend and save $500.

http://cubdriver749er.com/gallery.html

I'd go but I don't have a supercub with tundra tires. Unfortunately that rate doesn't include the airplane rental. I'd love to do it though!

All training is conducted in the OFF Airport environment, and is Self-Fly, meaning you will be required to provide your own Supercub, equipped with tundra tires!

Twotter76 said:
Nice find. Makes me miss flying in the homeland. I still have a copy of Mountain Pilot where they explain how to do those water landings on wheels. No one believes me until they see the pics. Maybe ill show em that video from now on instead.
Back in the early '90s, the National Ag Aviation Ass'n's magazine had a photo on the cover of 4 Ag Cats hydroplaning across a lake in formation...showed people the pic, and they still didn't believe it ;)

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
Back in the early '90s, the National Ag Aviation Ass'n's magazine had a photo on the cover of 4 Ag Cats hydroplaning across a lake in formation...showed people the pic, and they still didn't believe it ;)

Fly safe!

David

Ooohh... please do post!

MauleSkinner said:

Fly safe!

David

We call it "water Skiing". :) In a J-3, once it gets stable, you can actually let go of the stick.

Ill Mitch said:
We call it "water Skiing". :) In a J-3, once it gets stable, you can actually let go of the stick.

Don't torment us jet-only .mil types... are you serious? What prevents the plane from nosing over? You'd think an altitude error of inches would cause catastrophe. I can see if the wheels are spinning, there'd be a hydroplane action, but if it sinks close to the axle, any spinning of the wheel would vanish, and the airplane would flip.

Very cool, I'd love to see some pics.

Gorilla said:
Don't torment us jet-only .mil types... are you serious? What prevents the plane from nosing over? You'd think an altitude error of inches would cause catastrophe. I can see if the wheels are spinning, there'd be a hydroplane action, but if it sinks close to the axle, any spinning of the wheel would vanish, and the airplane would flip.

Very cool, I'd love to see some pics.

It's not a matter of flying at an altitude that puts your tires on the water. You are in fact waterskiing. This technique used to get into sandbars and beaches which otherwise would be much to short for a normal landing. The airplane is slowed down substantially below the minimum flying speed (but not too much) so the wings are not supporting the entire weight of the airplane. The remaider of the plane's weight is supported by the hydrodynamic forces generated by the wheels skimming across the water, just like a waterskier's weight is supported by the hydrodynamic force of the ski skimming across the water. If you get too slow, yes, catastrophe results as the wheels sink into the water, but with sufficient speed it's difficult to force the wheel into the water deep enough to flip it. It has nothing to do with the rotation of the tires, in fact, you will hear some folks clain that you have to have the brakes locked, otherwise the rotation of htetires will suck the wheels deeper into the water, sort of the converse of what you are suggesting. Wall, yes it *does* work with the brakes locked, but I can tell you from personal experience it also works with the wheels spinning. I'm not going to delve too deeply into what my personal experience is.

Latest resources

Back