• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Sell cheap fuel and profit- Delta Air Lines refining 101"--article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another good reason for the last contract to pass. A max number of 50 seaters allowed, 125. Even if oil prices were cut in half, only 125 allowed. (215 fewer than today)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Well there are other airlines Lee, I know that's strange to hear. 50 seaters can easily make a comeback at the other airlines with another 215 sitting mothballed. However, say the devil's name and he will appear. Never mind all that.

Like I say, my point was simply I'm worried that Delta is tripping over a dollar to save a penny, but I hope not for Delta's sake.

Shut up GL..

Quit pumping the last LA game

God, who knows, maybe the airline will go back to owning everything instead of going "virtual". Well whenever they do, some young exec will sell it all off, reward the investors, burn the stock down, and get paid tens of millions while we go into bankruptcy again.

Just wondering, does Coke own any part of Alcoa? Does Ford own any part of US Steel? I wonder why...

Bad metaphor. Aluminum's price hasn't fluctuated as much as oil. Aluminum isn't the biggest cost to Coca Cola, just as steel isn't to Ford. Alcoa and US Steel are monster multinational corporations. Owning a piece of either wouldn't do Jack **** to the prices anyway.

It may turn out to be a bad move on Delta's part, but your 5th grade logic is pretty weak, and missing the point entirely. Academy grad?

Vertical integration hu?

I don't want the wrath of Jenny Lee, but with stave off of peak oil for another decade or, does it feel like Delta is tripping over a dollar to save a penny by buying this oil refinery? Watch, oil will get so low 50 seaters will make a comeback. bleh.

Vertical Integration? It's not as if they're selling the farm to get into the oil industry...simply a tactical move to help control appx 35% of they're overall costs. Easy to sit and monday quarterback the move, but at least they're trying to adapt a business model to fit the needs of the company. Do you really think that if airlines owned refineries that a barrel of oil cost would drop that much? No doubt it would drop, but I think you're exaggerating a little much. Besides, maybe then it wouldn't cost me $100 to fill up at the pump...

Sorry for the thread revival; I've been on vacation with family for a few weeks. Vacations away from work and work topics are a good thing.

Delta's Trainer refinery has been a success in reducing the JetA crack spread. A 'normal' refinery produces ~9% JetA as its final product. Delta was looking for mid-30s JetA for its final product; I've read it's 'only' running in the high 20s. Frankly, that's a huge success in reducing JetA crack spreads. The much higher percentage of JetA production vs other oil based products cannot be understated. This is a huge benefit for all airlines.

The problem with Delta being the only airline with a refinery is that all airlines (especially those that have large presence in the vicinity of Trainer - JetBlue, Yonited, US Scareways, American) benefit from the reduced crack spread. So to measure Trainer's performance by traditional profit/loss metrics is a bit flawed.
Bottom line: on paper, Trainer may appear to be a money loser, but the reduction of JetA crack spread will likely make it a moneymaker for Delta. For the rest of the airlines, they will freeride off of Delta's refinery investment.

It may turn out to be a bad move on Delta's part, but your 5th grade logic is pretty weak, and missing the point entirely. Academy grad?

Ouch. I resemble that remark. In my defense, I was trained, not educated at the Blue Zoo.
However, I was an econ major who had the audacity to challenge my instructors on the concept that running deficits was a good thing ... I countered with that was simply pulling demand forward. That, and my slothlike behavior, resulted in a GPA somewhere around 2.4. If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum. :D

Bad metaphor. Aluminum's price hasn't fluctuated as much as oil. Aluminum isn't the biggest cost to Coca Cola, just as steel isn't to Ford. Alcoa and US Steel are monster multinational corporations. Owning a piece of either wouldn't do Jack **** to the prices anyway.

I wasn't making a metaphor, and you might not want to cast to many "5th grader stones" if you don't understand the definition of metaphor. At best, you might consider what I stated a simile, however, since you didn't understand the basis for my question, you would still be wrong.

Bill,

Getting rid if the middleman will result in more overall profit for DL. I don't know if that means profit at DL or Monroe Energy. Here is an interesting part of the above article:

"Having some say over the price of jet fuel in the region is particularly important for Delta, which has set out on an ambitious growth plan to increase its share of the New York City hub. Delta is the largest buyer of jet fuel in New York, as well as the country as a whole, making up 20 percent of all U.S. purchases, Anderson said.

The company took a $63 million loss from the refinery in the fourth quarter due to slower operations after Hurricane Sandy struck. Sandy's impact continued to be felt in January. But Bastian said earlier this year he expects the plant to turn a profit of $75 million to $100 million in the second quarter."

Bye Bye---General Lee
And they say SGU Kool Aid is potent. You are hitting the Everclear grade Kool Aid with a bowl of OxyContin spiced peanuts, but when you spend your days and nights in your moms basement hunched over a keyboard(or the plastic wife), pounding it like a monkey in a cage, it doesn't really matter.....

Latest resources

Back