Self-Managing our jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PiratePilot

Writing up a proposal to self manage our jet part 91 and have just started looking into how to deal with MX and MX tracking. If you have any advice on this topic I would enjoy hearing from you. Or any other topic regarding self managing for that matter. I Spoke with CAMS (CAMS Computerized Aircraft Maintenance System) today and was told that its pretty easy for a pilot like myself with no MX background to generate the monthly status reports. Just curious if anyone has had any experience/knowledge about generating these reports. The FBO that we will use for the majority of our inspections wants $1,200 per month to generate this status report vs. the $900 per year software fee for us to do it our self. This aircraft averages less than 200 hours per year and is currently on a Part 135 certificate. Also if you have any idea or suggestions on how to determine yearly/monthly/hourly maintenance costs on our aircraft I could use lots of help. Our BE-400A has approx 2,500 hours and 1,500 landings. Thanks for your help!

You can also take a look at AvTrak Global.

http://www.avtrak.com/index.html

Remind the 135 company that the airplane is on their cert to make money. Give them a pass word for your AvTrak or CAMS account and do not give them $1200/month.

Yes, it is easy to track, but remember, garbage in, garbage

I would look into CAMP as they took over the Raytheon factory program (FACTS) earlier this year. CAMP is a good system and easy to use. I don't know anything about AvTrack so I cannot give an opinion. Another option that I did at my last job was I wrote my own Excel maintenance tracking spreadsheet for a Westind I managed. Not the easiest thing to do if you do not have a maintenance background, but you might be able to find someone willing to give you a hand. Sounds like your local FBO shop may be running a Excel spreadsheet. For $1,200 a month.....maybe I should go into that business. $$$

I'm very familiar with CAMP and the Beechjet. It's very easy to use. PM me if you're interested in more details.

thanks

thanks for the help, just found out that the current management company uses camp and talked with a camp rep today and attending camp training tommorow. I heard mixed messages on how user friendly the camp or cams operating systems are to use. Thanks again for the help!

The reason so many aircraft are being professionally managed today is as they have become more complex it is harder for people to self manage. The tracking is not the big deal, it is seeing that the aircraft is always compliant and that you do not get taken to the cleaners with maintenance costs. The difference between $900 and $1200 is nothing when a mechanic is probably at least $75 an hour to look at the thing.

Latest resources

Back