• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

See ya Big Sky

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
apparently alot can dish it but can't take it now. Because you said the name on this thread... Skybus sucks! ah now I feel better. Oh wait I think I just hurt someones feelings now I am unprofessional.

I really have no love for Big Sky, the company as a whole. Same as a lot other companies. Some I really do not like.
But, as far as the actual people in the companies, they are just people. And they just lost their jobs.

Whatever. I don't work there, but the smile face at the front of his post implies gloating over their loss.
I don't think that is very cool.

From our VP Flight Ops, our loving overseer Dave Soaper:

The following message is from Dave Soaper, senior vice president of Aircraft Operations:
Delta Air Lines recently announced that Big Sky Airlines will cease all Delta Connection flights after January 7, 2008. Big Sky
operated its Delta Connection routes with 19-seat Beechcraft 1900 turboprop aircraft. The airline said it sustained unusually
bad weather, disappointing revenues and record high fuel prices since beginning to fly for Delta Connection in April 2007.
Sixteen cities will be affected by the cancellations: Allentown, Pa.; Bangor, Me.; Boston, Mass.; Burlington, Vt.; Cape
Girardeau, Mo.; Cincinnati, Ohio; Fredericton, Canada; Jackson, Tenn.; Massena, N.Y.; Ogdensburg, N.Y.; Owensboro, Ky.;
Plattsburgh, N.Y.; Saranac Lake, N.Y.; Trenton, N.J.; Watertown, N.Y. and White Plains, N.Y.
As Delta works to accommodate customers impacted by Big Sky's cancellations, it has requested that we fly a handful of
connections between Boston (BOS) and Bangor (BGR). (The number of daily flights varies based on bookings.) Delta has
seen strong passenger demand on this route and believes it should continue to operate with larger equipment.
While these flights do not drastically change our fleet or schedule, we are happy to support Delta and serve the passengers
who are counting on these connections.
I will continue to update you on significant developments in our operation.
Dave Soaper
Senior Vice President of Aircraft Operations

So, I guess EAS doesn't even cover the cost of a 1900? Sorry to see the guys get the boot, but there was plenty of bitchin' from YFC and BOS pax about having to ride the Beech. Good luck fellas, this may be a blessing in disguise, getting out from under the cutthroat DCI banner!

Even if Big Sky ends up getting all the Skyway EAS routes (they have only gotten 1 route so far), it will not make up for the loss of flying on the East Coast. Good luck to you guys at Big Sky.

Sorry to hear about your jobs guys. The bright side is just about everyone else is hiring. Good luck to all.

VV

And Im sure they wont have a problem getting hired!! Best of luck guys. I went thru this crap with ACA/Independence, and things have worked out great. It sucks, but its the nature of the industry.

This is much more serious than most of you realize. Big Sky is not just dumping BOS and CVG, but shutting down the whole airline. MAIR will liquidate, and the ballgame is over. Good luck to all involved (and have fun Skyway finding someone to take over the EAS stuff).

On December 19, 2007, MAIR Holdings, Inc. publicly announced that its subsidiary, Big Sky Transportation Co. is ceasing its operations in the eastern United States, effective January 7, 2008 and is working to transition its western operations to another carrier. For further information, please refer to the press release attached hereto as Exhibit 99.1
From MAIR 8-K 12/19/07

It will be ZK, you heard it here first.

Big Sky To Close, MAIR To Liquidate

By Gregory Polek
December 20, 2007
Air Transport and Cargo

MAIR Holdings announced yesterday that its Big Sky Airlines subsidiary will end all its Delta Connection service on the East Coast as of midnight on January 7. The company will then attempt to “transition” its Billings, Mont.-based operation to another airline, distribute any remaining cash to shareholders and completely liquidate sometime next year, said MAIR president Paul Foley during a conference call this morning. Delta has recruited wholly owned subsidiary Comair to assume responsibility for part of the 16-city Eastern network.

Meanwhile, MAIR has entered negotiations with another carrier, reportedly Cheyenne, Wyo.-based Great Lakes Aviation, to assume control of Big Sky’s Billings-based EAS markets. Foley attributed the decision to shut down to unusually bad weather, high fuel costs and “disappointing” revenue from the Boston-based operation, established in April in an effort to counter losses generated by its Western network.

This is what Paul Foley does - He steps into a company and ruins it. It started with the games he played against XJ pilots by acquiring Big Sky to be an alter-ego. When that didn't go completely as planned he ruined Big Sky with his poor airline management.

Such a shame

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back