Seconday screening exemption?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hugh Jorgan

I have exhausted Google, the ALPA website, this one and others, and I'm still unsure of the real scoop on airline crew and the secondary screening. I was under the impression (false?) that we are exempt from secondary screening if we are in uniform with our ID's. I always get the SSSS on my ticket due to the one-way trigger or last minute change thing, but have never been secondary screened. Am I wrongly assuming this is because of an exemption, or was last night the first time someone actually did their job? I went through secondary screening even after I politely said to the screener that I was under the impression I was exempt. I was told the airline could exempt me at the counter, but that if the SSSS showed up on the boarding pass when I got to security, there was no exemption.
So what's the truth? Better yet, could someone send a linky to the written policy?
Thanks

Airline employees with airline ID's are exempt from selectee screening regardless of whether they are in uniform or not. It's explicitly spelled out in the numerous Security Directives.

No linkeys or cut-n-pasties, because it would not be in the interest of national security. Your chief pilot or employee website should have them available for viewing. Next time you're tapped for the frisking, just ask for the supe and ask him if he knows what the F his instructions from Washington are! It's time we start demanding standardization and compliance with the regulations from these people.

The crux of the matter

EagleRJ said:
It's time we start demanding standardization and compliance with the regulations from these people.

This is really the problem in my eyes. There are too many different interpretations of the same regulation. Every airport seems to have different ideas and not only that, their frickin' metal detectors are set to different sensitivities.

If someone does find something in writing I'd appreciate it if they'd post it.

mar said:
Or at least PM me with it so I have something for which to refer when I start writing letters.

mar said:

The procedure is spelled out explicitly in the most current Security Directive, #1544-01-102, Section 1-H-6. Previous SDs have had the same language for years now- it's not like it's new or anything. Your carrier has a hard copy of it on file- go to your Chief Pilot's office and ask to see it.

I won't post it here, 'cuz I don't want the humorless men in dark suits to come to my door!

Thanks for the insight guys! I can't tell you how many times I've been selected, even while in uniform. It's a joke.

Hi!

At GRB, I was told that the airline employees are REQUIRED to write "Exempt" on your ticket/pass if you are selected for secondary screening "SSSSS".

The TSA guys told me that they used to be able to Exempt crews if they are "SSS'd", but they were not allowed to anymore, and that the ticket agents were REQUIRED to. I asked the ticket agents about it, and they were confused.

Cliff
YIP

It all depends on the specific airport, and the local TSA supervisors interpretation of the rule. There really should be no interpretation, but there is...unfortunately. I have had the SSSS on a boarding card many times and gone through the employee line, showed them my ID, and they stamp or punch it(depending on the airports procedure) without ever doing the secondary screening....but, some airports insist on it. I've never argued with them since until recently the TSA was able to pull your certificates without any explanation...only citing "security issues".

Here's what I have found talking with both the TSA supervisors and my company union security rep...

The TSA isn't supposed to be able to exempt you, even if you are in uniform. The ticket agents have to do the exemption when they issue your boarding pass. Some of them know this, many do not (or claim ignorance so that they don't have to go through the hassle). What I do now everytime I jumpseat or have a company deadhead ticket is ask the ticket agent when I first approach the counter with my ID to please exempt me from the secondary screen. If they don't do it in the beginning, it is a real pain in the ars to get it removed after the boarding pass is printed. If they claim they can't do that (like many have tried to with me), politely tell them that they are the only ones that can do it and according to the Security Directive, crewmembers of US Air Carriers are exempt from secondary screens. If they tell you they can't, it is probably because they don't know how, so ask to speak to a supervisor, which should work. Also, contact your company security liason (ie ALPA) if you have problems so that they can address it with their security contacts at that particular airline or airport.

Also, if you still end up having to do a secondary screen, you can speak with a TSA supervisor at the screening area and have them fill out a report.

Maybe one of these days we'll all be on the same sheet of music...

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back