• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Second job while flying for Regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I work as a 'runner' at a funeral home. They've been great with my airline schedule. I also sell insurance and, soon, I'll begin selling funeral pre-arrangements. Good luck, "regional" FO pay is a bitch!

SkyCap...mucho money in tips. These guys make over $100 an hour, IN CASH. If you are doing ready reserve, you are already at the airport anyway, in the skycap/pilot uniform...seems like a great way to make money if you are already dressed for the party...

I work as a 'runner' at a funeral home.

Any "interesting" experiences or stories? I met a guy who did not know what he was getting himself into and he said he lasted less than a week.:D

3 5 0

Certified Weather Observer. Good money, low stress, low risk and low work load. Just a suggestion.

Great suggestions so far.

But I do have one question, what is a "SkyCap?"

MarineGrunt said:
Great suggestions so far.

But I do have one question, what is a "SkyCap?"

He's usually the guy doing the curb side check-in of your bags. He tags your bags, and you hand him a couple of bucks. They usually are a pretty happy bunch. Then again if I was making as much per hour as a stripper,(er I mean "Adult Entertainer") to tag bags at the curb, I'd be pretty happy too.

I taught at a local flight school during the first year. However, I requested to focus on the ground schools, so pay was by the clock, not the Hobbs meter and I didn't have to worry about timing out. Overall, I found that teaching the groundschools paid more than sitting in the right seat of a 172 and therefore functioned better as a part time job. All of the other CFIs were more than willing to give you the ground stuff too. Since my flight school conducted formalized groundschools on all of the various licenses and ratings, I could pick and choose what would fit with my schedule. There were 4 months as I recall now where I made more teaching than I did in the right seat at the regional. The other months were about equal, so I always managed to at least "double" my income (2*0=0!). Finally, the schools generally like having you there, cause they tell potential students something like "attend our private pilot groundschool, taught by an airline pilot" or the like.

All the best!

Alittle off the track but.....

just about any PT job will work as long as it doesn't interfear w/ the flying job and get you in trouble. Try a PT fast food rest manager. Tbell pays these guys pretty well and the hours are flexable.

On the other hand IF you have you debt under control AND are single without kids then first year pay (about 20000) is doable. remember the key words are "debt under conrtol". This means no credit card bills and the car paid off. This only leaves housing, food, cell phone, car ins and gas. Add it up:

Rent 600
Food 300
cell phone 40
car ins 70
gas 50
electric 30
so about 1100 per month

21 $/hr times 75 is 1575 times .75 is 1181 take home pay plus like 200 to 400 in non taxed perdiem (depending on how much you fly first year). It doesn't leave much room but again its doable. Maybe live in a crash pad and commute to the parents once a month or other relatives then the rent goes in half if not more.

I only say this because i speak from exp. I wish I hadn't leased a car years ago. If i had bought the truck I'm paying on now back then it would be paid off by now. Also a few years back I bought stuff on the CC that took time to pay off. this is cash i'd now have in the bank. I know its hard not to go out and buy something after college or when you get that first salary flying job but if you can get out of school debt free and keep that car your parents gave you in HS a few more years the first year FO pay won't hurt as much.

either that or just find a rich chick and marry her, then you can take all the low paying flying jobs you want.

LearLove said:
Alittle off the track but.....

I know its hard not to go out and buy something after college or when you get that first salary flying job but if you can get out of school debt free and keep that car your parents gave you in HS a few more years the first year FO pay won't hurt as much.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, i wish my parents had given me a car...

or hell, I wish I could have graduated debt free.

livin' the dream.

350 -
Many interesting experiences, in fact! I've been doing it for almost a year and a half. I almost didn't come back the second day.

Latest resources

Back