Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Second Career in Computers - Any others?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have a professional job flying, so my programming gig is primary. I'm in the game industry myself, so my experience is in the consumer software market. So what I say below may not apply to what you specifically want to get into, but it is applicable to consumer software...

There are plenty of programming jobs out there, but with the economy the way it is now, companies are looking to hire a known quantity that can be productive for them right away. They don't to waste much time at all teaching a guy about writing code for their particular product. So typically a very employable person will have a resume chock full of experience that's aligned pretty much exactly with what they're doing. In most cases, a degree doesn't matter, as others have stated. They want you to be able to write code, and real life experience shows that you can - not a piece of paper from a university. About a year ago I interviewed a guy looking to work on a 3D engine for us. He was a hard core computer geek, as well as a high school drop-out. He showed us examples of some stuff he had written, and it was amazing. The guy had the right stuff, and we hired him. Turned out to be a good decision, and he's every bit as good a programmer as the guys (like myself) that have a formal education in computer science.

So at least in my area of work, you really want to decide what kind of programming you'd like to do, and then bust your asss to get marketable at it. Sit down and start writing anything and everything to build a portfolio of code that showcases your talent. At that point it'll be helpful to start getting involved in the industry and meeting people. Some of the best jobs are the ones you hear by word of mouth - not read about in a paper. So keep your eyes and ears open! It's pretty tough out there right now, but if you can demonstrate your talent, the jobs are available.

Ditto all the above. For those in IT, how many years since you have had a raise.

I am a database administrator for a tech company. No raises for two years now, and it will be another year before another opportunity. No more bonus, and mgmt is tightening the screws on things that are not even pay related (because they can, where you going to go). Guess mgmt is universal.

Its funny because a few years ago, we all thought we would soon be millionaires. I remember guys leaving my company, putting their resume on the Internet, and have three job offers in a week. Now they couln't find a job if there life depended on it.

I do thing thingh will get better, but there won't be another repeat of the boom unless we have something new like the Internet or Y2K.

To the original poster, why not involve yourself with the local FSDO. Attend Air Safety meetings and make some presentations. There have been a couple of guys from my flying club who now work for the FAA, and this is how they got started.

I'm going to echo just about everything the previous posters have said. The IT industry pretty much $ucks right now. Lots of people are out of work and looking for other jobs. This, doesn't mean that you can't find a job, but its just a little harder now.

As far as a degree in IT. You don't necessarily need it. You really only need to have the coding mindset. I've worked with other programmers who had degrees in education, engineering, math, biology, no degree, etc. But, let me tell you that if this is what you want to do, having a degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or whatever some of the schools are calling it, will definitely give you points in an interview over someone who does not have that degree.

I have a BS degree in Information Systems and I worked in the industry for several years for companies such as Electronic Data Systems (EDS) and finally gave up that life for the life of a pilot. I grew tired of sitting behind a desk for 10 hours a day, staring glossy eyed at a computer. It was more fun to me to fly a plane than a desk. I thought that I might try and do some contract programming on the side, but the industry tools change at such a rapid rate that I don't think I would enjoy trying to keep up with the technology.

That is just my .02
Do what you enjoy!
Adios

Doozer

What's the dirt on Computer Resources buying Dyncorp? Are they consolidating mutual operations, or bringing computer resources to the nether-world?

Fly SAFE!
Bridgette

www.adultjobs.com

In case anyone is looking for a job in the adult entertainment industry. Not that I was ever looking...someone sent me that link as a joke...no really...seriously.... :p

-bigD a.k.a. "Girth Brooks"

Re: Doozer

JediNein said:
What's the dirt on Computer Resources buying Dyncorp? Are they consolidating mutual operations, or bringing computer resources to the nether-world?

JediNein:

I haven't heard anything about Computer Resources and Dyncorp, but that probably means I haven't been paying attention more than nothing's going on.

Someone more knowledgeable could probably deduce the answer by knowing what they're collaborating on--which I don't know either.

If they're collaborating on something that Computer Resources already does, but on a smaller scale, then I'd bet Computer Resources is thinking acquisition because that's how the majority of the technology companies I have observed grow their businesses. Well, that characteristic isn't actually confined to the technology sector, is it?

If they're collaborating on something that Computer Resources has little or no previous experience in, then I'd think it's just merely a strategic alliance to make some money for them both.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I was laid off 2 months ago from a very comfortable IT position after 3 years with the company, and have had no luck finding anything near what I was making there. My worthless opinion: IT industry in the crapper right now.

Go medical

there will always be a demand for nurses and different medical technologist If anyone takes this route first go to a hospital or two and observe the work that you will be doing and what techs think the outlook is

When i was going to school i was going to go into physical therapy it was paying 60k year and my field was about 40k Now my field pays better than PT so try to get an idea if it's hot field for the future PT and nursing are still good fields but there are easier better things out there

Bad thing most schools are at least an AS degree = 2 years full time Well now might be a good time to make that small time investment

Great luck to ya

Computer career 2nd choice

Your thinking is on the right track. I have a second job which I use computers and i am able to bring my laptop along and work on my overnights in the hotel room. The key is finding an employer who is flexible enough to allow you to work beyond your airline schedule. I have been lucky in that regard. As far as other professions, the medical industry always is looking for per-diem employees and it seems there is a shortage right now in that field. If I had to do it all over with the job situation being what it is, I would do that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back