Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Second Career in Computers - Any others?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nonstop

Sup guys. My aviation career has stalled, I've learned how terribly unstable this industry is. Seems like a roll of the dice that determines how your future turns out in this industry. Things may turn around, I may live a phat life after retirement... but just in case they never pan out and I'm one of those guys that has flown for 10 airlines by the time I'm 60 (assuming I'm lucky enough to last to 60), I'm looking for a plan B to execute in sequence with plan A, or to fall back on completely if necessary.

I thought I'd start pursuing another career in my spare time (read: sitting on my ass in a crashpad) in computers. Not sure what avenue, but most likely programming. I figure you can't go wrong with that and it's possible to do while flying for an airline. I've done a little programming in the past and really do enjoy it.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you do pursue a second career (other than delivering pizza's ;) ) while working for an airline, and what career that is, why it's good or bad. Also, if any are working on or have worked on the same things I plan to work on, if you have any advice on school programs that would work well for someone in my position (Airline Pilot) who couldn't show up for standard scheduled classroom class. I'd basically like to turn my Bachelor of Aeronautical Science into a Masters of Computer Science (I think that'll require a Bachelor of Computer Science first?)

Just trying to gather as much info as possible before I jump in feet first. Thanks for any input.

I'm a systems analyst/programmer training for a future position as pilot.

You don't need a masters degree to program. An associates degree or just some technical training would be all you need if you already have a 4-year degree. You could get this type of training at vocational or specialized technical training schools or even online. Try searching on the internet for online schools.

You might try talking with the career placement department at the university you graduated from to get their advice and use their resources. Also, some software contracting companies may be able to give you some input on what they would require to hire someone. Contract work may be the best way to fit this in during your downtimes.

Programming Jobs

Don't want to bust your bubble about programming, but right now the industry is swimming in excess
resources. After being in the business for 25 years, this is the worst that I have seen it. Things will get better, but probably in the 2-3 year timeframe. Between the .com bust and the weak economy there are some very good folks without a job. We haven't increased resources in over 2 years at my company. Companies can coast for awhile with their current systems, but sooner or later those systems are going to need maintenance and enhancements to support changing business needs, so there will be a slow increase in hiring as time marches on. This might be perfect timing for you. Make sure that you study the latest and greatest technology. IT is changing so fast that skill sets become obsolete very rapidly. With your irregular schedule, I can't see it working too well, but who knows. Deadlines are short and mandatory for most mission critcal systems. That is why Real Estate is a popular second job.

yea, dude, I am with the above...IT is awash with countless pions, and there's no need for more. Almost all of my friends are iether IT or doctors (with a few pilots in between), and they've been sitting flat on their asses for a while. So by the time the economy picks up again, they will be the first to be hired (experience) and you'll still be stranded. Stick to yer guns, or do something else, i.e. try construction maybe. Learn to read blue prints, cost charts, sh!t like that....

HTH, FWIW,IMHO

I agree with those who say that there is a lot of programming talent on the street without work now.

My day job is as an ERP systems consultant, specializing in a product called PeopleSoft, & I flight instruct in my spare time.

The company I work for (Computer Sciences Corporation) has gone through at least 5 RIF's in the past 3 years--& our practice has been more profitable than most of our competitors.

Those of us who survived the RIFFest, had to take a 5% pay cut to keep our jobs. I spent 7 months this year without a billable assignment. Still, I feel fortunate to still have the job--which pays about what many folks on this board say a corporate jet pilot makes.

It's funny, perhaps, but my backup plan if the ax falls & I can't find another programming/consulting position is to go to work as an EMS helo pilot somewhere.

I'll "second" those who think the computer industry sucks right now because, well, it does. I've been in it for over 8 years and every year it gets worse. With Microsoft coming out with a totally new operating system each year and the web programming languages changing like the phase of the moon, it's ridiculous. I like tinkering with web sites and stuff but the industry as a whole has gotten way out of hand. If I knew the same amount of info about structural engineering as I do computers, I'd still want to be a corporate pilot but I'd have a high-demand job on the side.

Hey nonstop,

One of my good friends actually quit his programming job for IBM and took about 6 months to a year off and went to school to be a firefighter. Fortunately for him he had some cash saved and his wife was working. Now he works both as a firefighter and for a small company writing programs that work with Notes among other things, for their clients. Alot of his work on programming he wither does for home or at the fire station. So, it can be done. But like anything, it would take some sacrifice. One of the guys said, don't worry about an undergrad in C.S. and I'd 2nd that. I know a few programmers that majored in liberal arts, engineering, finance. It seems if you have the aptitude it really doesn't matter what your undergrad is in.

Thanks for the replies guys. Programming is my first choice because computers and technology are kind of a passion for me. Sounds like I definately need to do more investigating before making any decisions.

I heard once that 70% of people work in a different field than they majored in. At least it's good to know other technically involved professions don't require additional diplomas (read: money).

So anyone got any other ideas? :D Someone tossed out Real Estate. I've thought about that, but I'm not much of a salesman. Other things I've thought of are Law (though I sat next to a lawyer once in first class when I was an intern and he said it was the most boring job in the world), Accounting, MBA... of course those would probably be limited to fallback options I couldn't do at the same time.

I might look farther into real estate, I have a friend who does it and seems to make out pretty good. He's a smooth talker though.

I feel like I have to do something, since I have so much free time and so little money.

If the computer thing isn't going, try something in medicine. If you look in the Sunday papers, hospitals are always looking for nurses. Sometimes offering upto 5k sign-on bonus. My wife, who is able to stay with the kids, could always find a job as an occupational therapist somewhere, if I found myself on the street. Just a thought.

Accounting can get pretty demanding in the 12th month and 1st quarter of the year. I am a computer programer \ payroll accountant. It is tough this time of year to get all the witholding tax's updated and still fly with my students. I supose it will not get any better once I am online with someone, but I guess I have a little while to worry about that one.

As for IT work, if your heart is set on it, learn something that is very rare. This will generally contradict what most schools will tell you though. I was a hiring manager for a long time and guys whom would come to me the the Microsoft "Boot Camp" MCSE's and the like would get laugherd at. The 2 week teach you how to be a tech or programer courses are a joke in the real world. Most could not troubleshoot their way out of a wet paper bag. Your best bet is self \ guided learning like internet based courses with hands on away from the course. Make yourself a program to do something usefull for yourself. I made my own logbook software for instance once. Although I wished I had known then what I know now with the various breakdowns in complexity of logging time.

I would stay away form hardware and network admin stuff as it tends to be VERY mission critical. I once had a server that when it went down, I had less than an hour to get it on line or we violated Federal Food and Drug compliance. I do not think that you telling the client "I am sorry but I have to go fly" will work too well there. Microsoft products are great(programing wise) but for the most part there are a ton of VB, C++, and SQl programers out there. Try Lotus or something like that. Stay away from web programing as well. Everyone and their brother out there claims to be a web programer. Some are great and some are simple hackers. Supply and demand dictates that web programers do not make good money as a general rule.

I love the relationship I have with my client as a VB programer though. I am pretty flexable wich is an asset as a freelance CFI\Pilot. For the most part except the last week out of the year, I can go fly anytime I want. When I am stuck somewhere on an overnight or long layover I can whip out the laptop and work for a few hours. Helps kill the time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back