• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Secaucus to NYC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like 2000 said about Canal, great at this time of year. Also, while you are down that direction, go to Mulberry steet and north. Walk up about 4 block to Angelo's. At this time of year Christmas is a big thing in Little Italy. Marching band's are roving the street's and coming into resturants and make quite a scene. Really festive ... and great food.

Thanks for all of the info......guess I'd better get my a$$ up early. And I'll be damned, its a clear day here and I forgot to bring my camera. Thanks for the ideas, quite a few things I didnt even think of.

I just tried to get tickets to Conan.....booked solid until the middle of February. Gonna try Letterman tomorrow morning.

Best bargain in New York

Take a Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. You will see most of the sights while sitting in comfort drinking the beverage of your choice from the concession on board. The boats are old converted landing craft and seat a couple of hundred people. Starts from the West Side 42nd Street Pier (if memory serves) and takes about four hours. The guys narrating seem to know every fact about NYC from the time dinosaurs ruled until the present day. Amazing and very informative. Just remember to dress warmly.

As for Central Park, a hansom ride is the way to see it. Double dittos on the dress warmly part.

If you want a warm indoor activity, the American Museum of Natural History is tops.

As far as food, to each his own, but a fine Italian meal in Little Italy is not to be missed.

I would get on the Green Line Subway once you get to Penn Station, and take it south to Spring Street. There is great shopping and Restraunts there. You might want to do all the typical stuff, but if not I would go to Soho, and get drunk and try to get laid. West Broadway and Grand street there is a restraunt called Lucky Strike that has good Chiantis and Pinos and a great salad, great DJ and some grade a NY ass. Also forgot the streets but check out Gonzales Gonzales. Great mexican restraunt and great margaritas.

About that bus at Harmon Meadows, don't forget it stops running around midnight for 4 hours. If you miss the bus go north one block and west one block. Look for a couple of white Van's parked. These are shuttle van's that will get you to over by Secaucas and then you can take a cab to your hotel. I always take the bus into town when I am in NYC. Biggest waste of free time is being in Harmon Meadows Secaucus for a few nights and not going into the city.

Take Care,
TXGold

Debating whether to go into city tonight for a few libations and such......but I'm on my own (other guy has family here in jersey). what time do the bars close in the city?

Libations & Such

Speaking as a native:

If you want to see how we natives quaff overpriced martinis, try Olives at the W Hotel in Union Square. Virtually no tourists even though it's a hotel lounge. Definite celebrity spotting (high level, not soap actresses). It's luxe, chic and loads of fun. Dress for success. Best drink, espresso martini. Link for location: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1299

Never, and I mean never-ever, take a taxi. Walk, take the subway and take busses. NYC public transit runs 24/7/365, is fast, cheap and safe (no kidding). Its also filthy enough to have some character. Buy the one-day unlimited MetroCard. Works on subways and busses. NYC's the best walking city in the world. Don't be afraid to wear out some shoe leather.

Don't believe a single word the tour guides tell you on the Circle Line or various bus tours. They're making all that rubbish up. Great way to see the city, however.

Macy's during holiday spending fever is TFR'd. There's nothing there you can't get cheaper and easier at WalMart. In any event, it looks run down and cheesy. Want to gawk? Sak's Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman.

Real Shopping Bargains? Euro-imports at bargain prices? CENTURY 21! Right near the WTC site. Great place for you guys to pick up the totally unexpected gift for your girl at dimes on the dollar (they have extensive menswear departments as well). I buy most of my clothes here.

FAO Schwartz is simply BRILLIANT; you'll feel six yers old again - see the world through eyes filled with wonder.

Anyone's who's tired of the usual tourist ripoff scene in NYC (Times Square, etc), should feel free to IM me for something a bit different from the usual guidebook fodder. I haven't been to Times Square in..., I forget how long.

EDIT: What time do bars close? Way past your bedtime. Try Pravda on Lafayette Street (near Prince Street) in SoHo. No sign, little red light by the stairs leading underground to a Moscow subway station. Tasty snacks. Lafayette runs north and south; the bar is on the east side of the street.

Last edited:
Nyc

Stay in Weehawken on the river at the Sheraton. The FBOs will take you there and you just ride the ferry across the Hudson. Much better/easier than a bus ride. Boat ride and nice city views on the way. It will drop you at Port Imperial near the aircraft carrier.

Have fun!!!

Latest resources

Back