Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlabamaMan!!

You broke muthafu*as!!!!
Anyone know the best way to get into the city from Secaucus? Going tomorrow until Friday, looking to check out the big apple for the first time.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to go/what to see/how to get there? Will have a rental car but prefer not to use it if possible.

Thanks

bus it...

When I head for the city I catch a bus in front of the Embassy Suites. bus #364 ??? Ask for a schedule from the check in desk. Buying a round trip ticket first saves you from having to find a kiosk on the Penn station side. It's a real easy way to get over there. Renting a car and having to park the thing is to much of a headache. Plus the bus fare is only $6 or so.
hope it helps.

Nyc?

AlabamaMan!! said:
Thanks.

Any good places to eat, things to do/see?

You're kidding, right?

Haven't gotten out of that country called Alabama in a while, huh?

But, if I recall, I think there are some large buildings there with observations decks...maybe one called the Empire State Building....

Lets see......uhhhh......

There is something called Times Square. Not sure if they have TV's in 'Bama, but if they do, and you've watched new years eve, it's the place where they drop the ball....

Man, I'm having WAY too much fun with this...

have fun....

Nope, just never had a chance to actually spend more than one night w/ early morning turn in NY. Hope I didnt put you out by asking for your opinion, but I was looking for what people thought were good things to do and what might be a waste of time.

Since you seem to be the master of NY overnights, what are some good places to eat without going broke?

Hey man, just kidding...

Fun things are Times Square area. Tons of stuff happeing there. USS Aircraft Carrier Intrepid. Empire State Bldg Observation Deck.

The christmas tree is up in Rockafellar Center, so you can check that out. Also, maybe try to score some tickets to Letterman, etc...

If you're a runner, a couple hour jog through central park is always on my list. Greenwich village is also a very cool place and TONS of good eateries.

You'll have a blast.

'Bama Man,

If you can afford it, you MUST have a pastrami sandwich at the Carnegie Deli. It'll cost you about $15, but it's big enough for 2 meals. The Letterman show studios are right around the corner and they often have last minute seats available if you're willing to stand in line (outside!) to wait. Tribeca and Soho are kind of artsy and people watching is often amazing there (lower Manhattan). As previously mentioned, Rockafeller Center is best this time of year, as are Macy's, FAO Schwartz, etc. Just don't take the Hansome Cab ride if Kramer is driving Rusty.....

And lest we forget, Strawberry Fields is in Central Park; if you're a John Lennon fan, your pilgrammage awaits.

Nyc

Definitely ride the transit into town. You really don't even need a rental car. I was up there last week. Went to the Fox News Studios and went to the DaySide show. Walked over to Trump Tower. Also found a hole in the wall restaurant and ate some pizza. It was very good. If you want some laughs, ride the Subway. Take it down to the Trade Center which is a very sobering experience to say the least. You also have the Statue of Liberty. There is so much to do there it would take you a month. Gotta eat a hot dog while you are there too. Head into town early. The day goes by fast!

Oh yes, and to all you yankees, we do have TVs here in Alabama. We use them to watch football on saturdays and sundays.

A few ways to get to NYC from Secaucus.

As previously mentioned, the bus in front of the Embassy Suites, that will take you to the main bus station about a block from Time Square. You could kill a day in that part of town easy. Theatre, stores, food, it's all there. Cab rid to lower Manhattan, last time I did it, was expensive. Take the subway or if it's a nice day, it's about an hour walk. Not much down there besides business district, but if you're interested in seeing Wall Street and such, it's worth it. Of course, right around the corner is the former WTC area.

If you get that far south, definitely hit Canal Street for bargain knock-offs (jewelry, sunglasses, electronics...not murder...more on that in a bit). Breitling, Rolex, etc for under $30. I bought a Breitling knock-off several years ago and it still works like a champ. One prick back at school chastised me for buying a piece of crap, yet I still fool Breitling dealers with it.

Last time I walked down there we came across a double homicide that happened within the last 15 minutes. At first I thought the cops were being total pricks they way they treated passer-bys, but then I watched some of those folks and thought the cops were showing great restraint not knocking the crap out of some of them.

2000Flyer

A few ways to get to NYC from Secaucus.

As previously mentioned, the bus in front of the Embassy Suites, that will take you to the main bus station about a block from Time Square. You could kill a day in that part of town easy. Theatre, stores, food, it's all there.

You can take the bus to Hobokin or Wehawkin (NJ) and take the ferry over. Last time I did it, it was $2 or so. Or you can do the limo. Expensive, IMO, but for private, comfortable transportation, it's the only way to travel and avoid public transit.

Cab ride to lower Manhattan, last time I did it, was expensive. Take the subway or if it's a nice day, it's about an hour walk. Not much down there besides business district, but if you're interested in seeing Wall Street and such, it's worth it. Of course, right around the corner is the former WTC area.

If you get that far south, definitely hit Canal Street for bargain knock-offs (jewelry, sunglasses, electronics...not murder...more on that in a bit). Breitling, Rolex, etc for under $30. I bought a Breitling knock-off several years ago and it still works like a champ. One prick back at school chastised me for buying a piece of crap, yet I still fool Breitling dealers with it.

Last time I walked down there we came across a double homicide that happened within the last 15 minutes. At first I thought the cops were being total pricks they way they treated passer-bys, but then I watched some of those folks and thought the cops were showing great restraint not knocking the crap out of some of them.

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back