Seating in the actual...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

When we first went CASS, one of the stipulations was that if there was a passenger seat available, ANY(not check airman)jumpseater would have to ride in back.

I've been jumpseating offline quite a bit lately, and a few times I've been given the option to sit in the actual, or in the cabin.

So my question is: Is the requirement to sit in back universal, or is it just our company?

Thanks

When we first went CASS, one of the stipulations was that if there was a passenger seat available, ANY(not check airman)jumpseater would have to ride in back.

It's been my experience that, even with a policy of sitting in the cabin before the cockpit, if it's very full and you'd be stuck in the middle seat between 2 fat lady's, the Capt will very often offer the jumpseat. Heck, they usually welcome the company up front!

Q. When pilots are not taking the "Actual" are the crews still welcoming dispatchers?? It's been awhile since I have had to commute.. We are CASS but its always been a little shaky for dispatchers to off line J/S and the writtings of late seem to just ignor us completely.. I for one have always appreciated the opportunity to ride up front and never fail to thank the crews for the ride..

Q. When pilots are not taking the "Actual" are the crews still welcoming dispatchers?? It's been awhile since I have had to commute.. We are CASS but its always been a little shaky for dispatchers to off line J/S and the writtings of late seem to just ignor us completely.. I for one have always appreciated the opportunity to ride up front and never fail to thank the crews for the ride..

The companies I have worked for did not allow offline dispatchers to J/S (you can always non-rev as an airline employee).

Offline Dispatchers

Ya see, thats what I am talking about.. Listen, no disrespect here, but the dispatchers that have been around a few years or more know and respect that the Flight deck Jump seat is a negociated pilot benefit from way back.. the Prevledge was extended to dispatchers of all carriers just as the pilots..just a lesser priority, which is understandable, We still have to do 5 hours of annual observations for our own carrier but since we are airmen and in many cases pilots as well, you the pilots voted to allow us up front as well. Thanks...

In years of old, many DX commuted to work and home as do the pilots, allot still do but even before 911 it was getting tougher to get on the flight deck as loads increased.. now in the TSA Era, and much higher loads, smaller jets, etc.. open seats for any use are at a all time premium, leaving the flight deck as the only option to get to work or home for many.. Personally I fear my new assignment is looking this way..

I dont know who you worked for that did not allow offlines, back in the day I worked for a DCI carrier and got most of my rides home on Airtran's flight decks.. , And we all know how much Delta and Airtran love each other.. Buy the way, thanks to all the FL guys and Gals that provided a lift..

My goal here is not to start an arguement, I was just hoping to provide some enlightenment as to the continuing plight that many dispatchers are facing these days, its only getting worse. I know I can speak for the dispatchers around the country...we would really appreciate it if in your communications about the jumpseat agreements at your airline if you would be inclined to remember your bretheren on the ground.. that really need a hand getting around once in a while...

Thanks in advance from all of us, I'll bring some goodies next time for the crew..

It is my understanding that it is TSA policy that offline pilots, dispatchers, etc can only ride up front if there are no seats available in the back. Many companies have recently came out with very clear and in some cases harsh language specifying this, which I suppose you could argue may just be company policy. Any jumpseat coordinators out there? Call the TSA and ask. This is one thing we all need to be 100% on the same page with. If we find the rule undesireable then we can work to change the rule, but we don't have the authority to allow anyone onto the flight deck we want to in the meantime, only to disallow someone.

Ya see, thats what I am talking about.. Listen, no disrespect here, but the dispatchers that have been around a few years or more know and respect that the Flight deck Jump seat is a negotiated pilot benefit from way back
My wife has the same thing happen to her - dispatchers usually have jumpseat privileges like everyone else but not many people know about it. About half the time on NWA the Captain says "oh, I don't think dispatcher can jumpseat..." and my wife has to respond with a "yes, it's in the FOM, look at the page after the pilot jumpseats." and they are "wow - I've been a Captain for xx years and never knew that".

...So my question is: Is the requirement to sit in back universal, or is it just our company?

Thanks

Huh? That's the first I've heard. The whole point of CASS is so you can ride upfront. Now if you or the pilots upfront would prefer for you to ride in the back (crowded cockpit, etc) then the choice should be yours if there are seats in the back...

Latest resources

Back