Seaplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gemboy75

I've been asked if a non-pilot could go straight into training for a private pilot certificate in a single engine sea airplane.

I instictively thought "yes", but then I began to doubt my response and said I'd look into it.

What I've found so far is that yes you can except that the night flying requirements might have to be done in a land airplane, as I don't know if there is such a thing as a lighted seaport.

I would love any other feedback on this issue.

Thanks.

Gemboy75 said:
I've been asked if a non-pilot could go straight into training for a private pilot certificate in a single engine sea airplane.

I instictively thought "yes", but then I began to doubt my response and said I'd look into it.

What I've found so far is that yes you can except that the night flying requirements might have to be done in a land airplane, as I don't know if there is such a thing as a lighted seaport.

Thanks.

Absoulutely. I know pilot who had their SES years prior to the SEL version.

Gemboy75 said:

Yes there are, Lake Hood Seaplane base (LHD) for one, although unless you are pretty sure you're going to be landing at a lighted base, night landings are nothing to screw around with, particularly for a student.

Interesting comment

A Squared said:
Yes there are, Lake Hood Seaplane base (LHD) for one, although unless you are pretty sure you're going to be landing at a lighted base, night landings are nothing to screw around with, particularly for a student.

You know what I'm thinking don't you?

Gemboy75 said:

Thanks.

Yes, as far as I know you can do you SES first. However, the cost will be considerably more. Why not do the SEL then go down with a grand to Jack Brown's in Florida and do an add-on. Be a lot less expensive that way.

2000Flyer

I instructed a guy at our floatplane base that was doing everything on a Seaplane. Even the cross countries were just to different lakes in Maine. Never been on wheels and didn't have any inention to do so.

An expensive way to do it. But he owned his own cub on floats and just putted around. I was kind of suprised he was even bothering to get a liscence in the first place.

Diesel,

How did you go about satisfying the night time requirment?

3 hours of night instruction including a cross country flight over 100 nautical miles, and of course 10 take off and landings.

Gemboy75 said:
Diesel,

How did you go about satisfying the night time requirment?

3 hours of night instruction including a cross country flight over 100 nautical miles, and of course 10 take off and landings.

Uhm.... Just go flying at night.

Multi Engine Sea

Have a friend who got his Initial seaplane rating in a complex twin. He had his own Grumman Widgeon. Does a MES qualify you to fly SES without further training?...or is it just a formality to get the SES?

Latest resources

Back