seaplane training Qs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snowman

I am headed to Seattle to add-on a ses to my commercial ticket. I am looking for advice and/or tips for flying on/off of water. I will be flying a Cub for the 1st time as well. Any suggestions/advice and/or info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
snowman

Have not done my SES add on yet, but I have looked into it quite a bit. From what I hear. You will probably end up getting some really good instruction if you go to the guys up in Seattle. I had a friend do his add on to his commercial a year ago and his only comment was that it was some of the coolest flying around. Be prepared for a whole bunch of T/o's and landings. he said they did well over a hundred. I am not sure how they do it up hear in the NW, but he did it on the Mississippi river, and had a several hundred mile runway to practice all those T/o's. He mentioned the best part being able to go under all of the bridges at 80+ mph on step.

As for the cub nothing to worry about there. That is one of the easiest airplanes to fly known to man. If you are flying in the back seat you will get a lot of experience stepping on the head of the guy in the front seat. Kinda works like the ball in a turn corridinator. Also the guy in the back seat can get a ride kinda like a 35 Bonanza if they are not good with a rudder. But all in all the thing is slow and stable.

snowman said:
I am headed to Seattle to add-on a ses to my commercial ticket. I am looking for advice and/or tips for flying on/off of water. I will be flying a Cub for the 1st time as well. Any suggestions/advice and/or info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
snowman

Well son, you better prepare yourself because sex (and all other flying for that matter), is going to be dissapointing after you taste floats. It's the best flying that there is! It's a pretty standard checkride / make sure you've got down the following:

Calculating float size for aircraft weight

Step, Displacement, Plow taxi (what / why)

Lake Assesments

Determining Wind Direction (looking at a lake only)

River ops

Docking / Beaching / Sailing.

I recommend you purchase "Flying a Floatplane" by C. Marin Faure.
ISBN - 0-07-021304-6

Have a blast!

And if you do it in a place like Seattle, which has extremely heavy recreational boating traffic in the summer, it is also a must to learn the "combat/defensive takeoff and landing" techniques.

Sounds like you might be headed for Kenmore at the north end of Lake Washington. Great people. They have a Super Cub on floats for the initial training. I flew it for my BFR. You will get good training there is thats where you are headed. Best of luck and to paraphrase Yank its the most fun flying.

NICE!
I am so freakin excited! I appreciate the info. I am headed to Kenmore. I will look for the suggested book. I am afraid that I will want to fly only from floats form here on out. Now, if I could only find a job.... Assuming I get through the ride....
Thanks again
I'll let ya'll know what happens..
Adios
snowman

Some fun places to go into are Calligan Lake and a stretch of the Snohomish River. Also, going into Lake Union can be challenging but a very rewarding experience. Have fun.

I talked to Wiley's Seaplanes close to Portland, and they said an SES takes a minimum of ten hours on average. Is this right? I want to do it, but I don't have a grand to spend on flying.

6-8 plus the checkride seems pretty average depending on the school. Some schools can get you done for under $1000 but not many. Seaplane insurance and operating costs are very high.

IMACDOG,
I will take your suggetions with me to Kenmore and see what they say. I see you have time in the Beaver. If I can I am going to go for an hour with an Instructor. Do you think it would be beneficial? Or would it be a waste of time. I have a 6 hr. block of time with Kenmore. I hope it is enough. Is there such a thing as a cheap way to build time on floats? My long term goal is to get a job flying the Beaver. Suggestions?
Thanks
snowman

Latest resources

Back