Seaplane Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

looseca

Thinking about getting a multi-engine seaplane rating this summer with some buddies for the hell of it. Maybe it'll come in handy some day when if I can afford one.
Anyone out there have one? What was it like flying one?

-Loose

Don't have one yet, but I have been with some friends that have it or are doing it and they love it. Here at Flagler you can get the training and I believe that after 25 hrs they even let you solo it. At least thats for the single engine ones not too sure about the multi-engine twin bees because they are pretty rare.

La Placa Services in Lake Havasue (sp)

He has a Twin sea bee.

He'll give you the check ride too.

Seaplane flying

Flying a seaplane is the most interesting I have done. I first did my seaplne rating in a C-172. I did the weight and balance for the flight and thought I had done a mistake. With two people on board, we where twenty pounds shy of max gross weight. It took a bit of time to getting used to taxing on water as you have to hold the control's back so the water spray will not hit the prop. I have seen props where they had water damage on them. Landings are the most interesting as you can have rough water or glassy water landings. Glassy water is the hardest as you lose track of where the water is. You basicly set yourself up and fly into the water. If you are not careful with this type of landing, you can run into a lot of trouble and cause damage to the plane. Taxing back to the dock can be fun as you have to know where the wind is coming from. By knowing where the wind is from you have to be able shut down the airplane, get out of the plane, jump on the dock and not fall in the water.

MES jobs

As was mentioned earlier there is Chalks in Lauderdale, Also Seaborne on St Croix, USVI. They have Twin Otters on Whip floats. Promech in SE Alaska, also twatters on Whips.... There are several 135 operators in AK who use Gooses and such. The jobs do exist.

seaplanes

Sorta off topic but someone mentioned how expensive seaplanes are. I used to own an Aeronca Cheif on floats and it was under 30K. Now I have a 172N seaplane and only paid 42K for it with a high time engine. Insurance isn't that bad...under 1K a year for liability only. No hull...it's paid for and it's not worth the expense in my opinion. I live on a lake and park it at my house.

How long ago did you fly for LMA? (I know a few folks from there; maybe even know you...send me a PM).

Seaplane flying is probably the most fun one can have, with clothes still in place.

I also don't have the multi, but flying float planes is the most fun I've ever had in an airplane. Check out the Seaplane Pilots Association web site (www.seaplanes.org). They list a whole bunch of places all over the country that do training, including several that do multis. There are even a few that will rent singles, but I don't recall any that will rent solo a multi. Also, take a look at multisea.com. They are on the west coast and do an introductory course in a Widgeon for $1150 that looks like a lot of fun. They say they'll do a rating, but don't give a package price and I suspect would be expensive. I imagine an AMES rating is one of the more rare ratings. Go for it - you'll have a blast!

seaplanes

You gotta have the MES for when Jimmy Buffett decides that he needs a flight crew for the Albatross.

Got my SES in a Maule Amphibean. Seaplane flying to me, is what flying is all about...gives you a bit more freedom as there are more destinations to choose from! I have friends who own an Albatross, and though I have not earned the MES...it's a blast!!!
Go for it, but I would suggest getting your SES first...it will be cheaper to learn the basics of taxi, docking, and the various landings: rough water, glassy water etc....that could take a few hours. All seaplanes fly the same but they do not react the same on the water, keep that in mind as it will be helpful to get rated in the plane you plan to fly the most.

Latest resources

Back