Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

U-I pilot

Relaxation....
Where would be a good and preferably inexpensive place to get a sea plane rating possibly with High Performance endorsement?

Lets try to keep it east of the mississippi and as close to the midwest as possible...(ie great lakes)

Looking for some quality training not just a checkride gouge. Prices and locations/aircraft/websites would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Best place I've heard from several people is Jack Brown's in Winter Haven FL. I believe the 2004 price was around $1100 in a J3. For more I believe they have a 172 or 180. Great course from all I've talked to.

I did my Single Engine Seaplane training last fall at Jack Brown's in Winter Haven, FL, so I echo the suggestions above.

They were awesome and the experience was awesome.

I did a rather long writeup about it, which you can read here: http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/journal.php?s=&journalid=7771&action=view

(just scroll down to Part I)

Additionally, a number of my pictures from the training are available here:

http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?distict_entry=true&placesearch=Winter%20Haven%20-%20Jack%20Browns%20Seaplane%20(F57)&photographersearch=JLS%20Photo

Did my SES and MES rating at Jack Browns 20 years ago.
Enjoyed it back then, but the ME aircraft was an oddball Twin-Bee that I never fell in love with.
Nowadays I think they operate an Aztec on floats.?

A few months after the courses I was hired intoi the right seat of a DHC-6-300 on straight floats based in STX.
That rating sure paid off quick....Tax deductible too.

Have you looked at Quad City Seaplanes? I got my SES there using a 180. It's run by Jim Goetsche (sp?) and I'm pretty sure he's listed on SPA's website. Anyway, that'll get you your SES rating and your high performance endorsement all for about $700 (fall '02 rates when I did it). Oh and all training is done on the Mississippi so you get a lot of work on landings. PM me if you need any other info.

Did my SES rating on Grand Lake in NE OKlahoma....between Tulsa, OK and Joplin, MO. Back in 96' the price was about 650 for a two day course, complete with river and confined landings, multiple docking approaches, and high-speed taxi in a circle around a small island. Bottom line loads of fun and great experience for the buck. The instructor is Bob Billingsly 918-782-2033, super nice guy who flys for the lake patrol and power line inspection on his other work days. Hope this helps!

Latest resources

Back