Screw Wal-Mart, Shop Target !!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I.P. Freley said:
The Festivus Poles are... Made in China. ;)

FRANK: "It's made from aluminum. Very high strength-to-weight ratio."

KRUGER: "I find your belief system fascinating."

I.P. Freley said:
Good luck finding a coffee maker, a TV, a cheese grater that's NOT made in China.

Oh, they're out there. My JVC TV was built in Mexico, as was my Chrysler. DVD player was built in Malaysia.

I think you're right about the cofee pots, though. :D

CA1900 said:
Oh, they're out there. My JVC TV was built in Mexico, as was my Chrysler. DVD player was built in Malaysia.

I think you're right about the cofee pots, though. :D

Well I know MY coffee maker was made in China... And performs no better than you'd expect of a $20 item, though it is a Krups (not made in the Ruhr Valley!).

And you're right about other stuff not necessarily being made in China, I was speaking broadly about the fact that none of this stuff is made in the USA. My favorite advertising ploy, used by the manufacturers of items I own such as Apple (iPod), Klipsch and Boston Acoustics (among many others) is to loudly proclaim that their products were "Designed and Engineered in the USA"... Though the products are, of course, manufactured on the Pacific Rim.

As for cars, wow, things are so complicated these days that it's hard to get a truly "American" or "German" product anymore. My car was jointly designed by Ford and Mazda (partly owned by Ford), with an American engine sporting Japanese cylinder heads, sold by a Japanese brand but manufactured in a Ford/Mazda plant in Michigan.

Just wait 'til the Chinese get their act together and start selling cars in the States. At first they'll be crapola, like the Koreans and the Japanese before them, but within a decade they'll be making passable cars for less than even the Koreans can afford to fight.

The Chinese are building major sub-assemblies for Boeing. They are also building EMB-145's under licence there also.

synchoffQuote:
Originally Posted by erj-145mech
Whats the difference between a sweatshop in Bangladesh and a regional airline anyway?

About $80k per year?:rolleyes:

So you're knocking down $85k/yr? Whats the average regional employee knocking down these days?

erj-145mech said:
So you're knocking down $85k/yr? Whats the average regional employee knocking down these days?

Average? Beats me. I'm a 5+ year Mesa CRJ CA, and I clear $80k, so that's probably a little on the low side for regional airline captains.

But my point, as it were, was that pilots (and I can't speak about anyone else) really strain their credibility when they compare their wages to, oh, those made in Banladesh sweatshops . . . .

For example, I find it really hard to feel sorry for my "brothers" at FedEx (ALPA) who just turned down an AVERAGE PILOT salary of $200k p/yr. (currently at the unliveable AVERAGE of $170k p/yr). At some point, it's just union power bent to serve collective greed. So a pilot there will make $200k . . . meanwhile, the average FedEx employee (the vast majority) makes diddly squat.

Yet they picket like the public is supposed to give a rats arse . .

synchoff said:
So a pilot there will make $200k . . . meanwhile, the average FedEx employee (the vast majority) makes diddly squat.

Actually not true. My wife was thinking of going to work for them. The person who nearly convinced her was formerly working as a computer engineer in MSP and quite because he could make more money driving delivery truck for FedEx. Tough work but you can make a killing!! I've actually researched it and have considered it as one of my "after furlough" options. Looking at the simple number after expenses and such, I figure I can almost triple my pay by leaving my FO position and going to drive truck for them.

It's not just the pilots making money at FedEx, it's EVERYONE.

Cya,

CP

Latest resources

Back