Scheduled Reduced Rest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cale42

So.. is scheduled reduced rest common? Having spent three years at a regional that didn't allow it I thought that was the norm. Now having been bought by a regional that includes it in every line I'm curious.

So does your airline schedule reduced rest.. is it common? Any provisions on the next day?

just curious,
cale

Never scheduled in any trip, just the occasional delay that puts us onto it.

I'm not referring to CDOs though we all know they are reduced more than anything else and scheduled regularly at some companies.

So.. is scheduled reduced rest common? Having spent three years at a regional that didn't allow it I thought that was the norm. Now having been bought by a regional that includes it in every line I'm curious.

So does your airline schedule reduced rest.. is it common? Any provisions on the next day?

just curious,
cale

Current airline has it, not uncommon.

Previous airline had that after a SCHEDULED reduced rest overnight, could not be scheduled for ore than 10 hours duty the next day. Of course, that was scheduled.

I'm not referring to CDOs though we all know they are reduced more than anything else and scheduled regularly at some companies.

Normal at XJT. Although we don't have CDOs. Not that it's prevented by the contract. But if we do have any trips like that, they cannot be built into a line. They must be thrown into open time for anyone to pick it up voluntarily.

CDOs don't have a rest period to be reduced.

At Compass reduced rest can be scheduled as long as it's not less than nine hours. In base we must have ten hours of rest.

In August when the new rules come into play, hopefully it won't matter. Weren't they shooting for no less than 8 hours behind the door at the hotel and 10 hours on the ground or something like that?

If there's ONE thing that needs to change, it's this reduced-rest crap. My company SCHEDULES reduced rest. Given our on-time performance lately, it means we quite often get the 8-hour minimum - with no restrictions on the following duty day.

I've often been tempted to tell the pax exactly how much sleep we got - especially after the gate agents told them we'd be late because we had to get our "rest".

In August when the new rules come into play, hopefully it won't matter. Weren't they shooting for no less than 8 hours behind the door at the hotel and 10 hours on the ground or something like that?

I was under the impression that the new regs had to be published by August, not fully implemented by then.

CDOs don't have a rest period to be reduced.

At Compass reduced rest can be scheduled as long as it's not less than nine hours. In base we must have ten hours of rest.

I know, on paper, they don't.

In reality we all know they are reduced more than anything else. That's all I meant.

If you are on reduced rest one night, you need compensatory rest the next night. It is based on the SCHEDULED block time in a 24 hour lookback period. Your MIN rest requirements will not change if you go over block. But you always need 8 hours reduced rest, or 9 hours if you fly over 9 hours SCHEDULED block within a 24 hour lookback. If you are on reduced rest, you need either 10, 11, or 12 hours of compensatory rest depending if you had a reduced rest period with <8, 8-9, or >9 hours of SCHEDULED block in the reduced rest period. Oh yeah, your compensatory rest must start within 24 hours of the reduced rest period. That crap took me 10 years to figure out. But now it will all change, and it will probably take me 20 years to figure out this new crap.

Hope that helps, but know your reduced rest stuff. Chances are, your newer schedulers may be unfamiliar, and the FAA takes this stuff real seriously. May be tough to explain a silly rest violation when interviewing at a legacy or wherever you may be trying to go.

Eric Pogo

Latest resources

Back