Scenic & Air Vegas Hiring Foreign Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

I was up at the Grand Canyon recently and I heard that Scenic and Air Vegas (two operators who fly into GCN) hire a lot of foreign pilots. At first, I didn't believe it because I thought it wouldn't be possible. Then, flying around the canyon, it did seem like all the Scenic and Air Vegas radio calls had foreign voices.

Does anyone know if this is true? If it is true, how does it make you feel? It makes me pretty mad. I've been trying to find work as a pilot in other countries for 2 years and no one hires American pilots. So, how is possible that foreign pilots are coming to our country and taking our jobs? Also, how would aviation employers be able to issue work permits? There are so many qualified American pilots out on the streets, I don't see how the US gov would approve this.

Your comments?

your_dreamguy said:
I've been trying to find work as a pilot in other countries for 2 years and no one hires American pilots. So, how is possible that foreign pilots are coming to our country and taking our jobs? Also, how would aviation employers be able to issue work permits? There are so many qualified American pilots out on the streets, I don't see how the US gov would approve this.
Don't blame the government; blame the companies. Throw in NAFTA for good measure. American citizens and those who have the legal right to work in the U.S. compete for the same jobs.

Of course, we know the stories about Americans not being interested in these jobs because of low pay, bad working conditions, or simply feeling the jobs are beneath them. We also know stories about how some American employers won't hire Americans because non-Americans will work cheaper.

Foreign countries have different rules. Most will not consider foreigners (to them) until they run out of their own nationals to fill jobs. Many years ago, when I was in radio, I thought it might be interesting to work in Canada. I gave up that notion quickly when I learned that Canadian nationals have first crack at jobs. However, Canadians are hired regularly for American broadcasting jobs. My recollection was refreshed when I tried looking north for regional jobs. I sent materials to Air BC or something. I recall receiving a letter saying that it must consider Canadians first for these jobs.

Unfortunately, that's how it goes sometimes.

Nice flame rizzo, Scenic is owned by a Japanese citizen. Rumor has it his son expressed an interest in flying so he bought an airline.

One of the biggest reasons foreigners come over here is the cost for learning to fly. Heck, that's why I came out here. Back in the UK it would have cost me nearly $75k just to get to the commercial-multi level....not even the CFI's.

It's a double edged sword however because I now can't fly in the UK without yet another expensive conversion (thanks to the JAA for that one). It's my guess that's the same problem your having too...the wrong type of licence to fly in that particular country.

I have to ask though....why are you so bothered about us taking jobs over here when clearly you don't even want the job we're flying? Want to stop foreigners flying over here........fly the plane yourself!

~Fly~

If you do some searching, I think you'll find this topic has been debated at length before.

IFlyGC hit the nail on the head- your main problem is that you don't hold the proper qualifications to fly in that particular country. I'm also from the UK, but due to my lack of JAA credentials, I couldn't get a job there either. Also take into consideration that no U.S. airline is able to recruit foreigners who are not already greencard holders. Airlines themselves cannot obtain work visas or greencards for foreign pilots due to the huge pilot surplus. I think you'll find that most foreign pilots came to this country for a number of other legitimite reasons, and not to steal flying jobs. Also note that the UK (for example) has very strict anti-discriminatory laws that would prevent any company there from even saying "UK citizens only". ANY person that has the legal right to work in the UK or EU has an equally good chance of obtaining a job there, regardless of citizenship.

BTW, if it makes you feel better, greencard holders and other foreigners were for a period of time after 9/11 completely banned from training in aircraft above 12,500lbs, and these days have to go through what I feel is a discriminatory background check that is so lengthy that it puts us at a disadvantage when competing for the same flying jobs with U.S. citizens.

So don't feel like it's all bad!

If you're willing to brave small arms fire and the occasional air to ground missile then you might want to look at Falcon Express in Dubai. :eek: They were even paying a little extra for those Baghdad flights to entice the crews to keep flying after the DHL incident.

I think they have Beech 1900s and they do hire foreign pilots.

Your big problem is lack of time and experience. Most foreign operators only hire outsiders when they can't find anyone in their country qualified for the job. Then they only hire those who are either type rated or otherwise qualified for the job.

The big problem in the States now isn't foregin pilots ( with green cards ) getting jobs, it is that foreign pilots are being forced to go elsewhere for training. The result is fewer CFI jobs for up and coming American pilots. It will make it much harder to build time to qualify for Regional jobs. It also adversely affects simulator training organizations such as Alteon ( formerly Flight Safety Boeing ), CAE, Pan Am, Aero Services, etc. This all because of a knee jerk reaction to the events of September 11th.

Typhoonpilot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back