Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turbo, for the last time can we dispense with this notion that doctors are in the same league as airline pilots. It's doesn't even resemble the truth. Airline pilots may wear a white shirt but this is a blue-collar occupation. Line workers, doing the same task, over and over. Blue collar workers advance their lot through unionization. Don't delude yourself into thinking you are "above" a labor action. Strikes are what made your lofty position lofty. It didn't start out that way. Do me a favor and read Flying the Line II when you get a chance. It's wonderfully illustrative of what happens when pilots get too comfortable with their position.

When a strike threats it shows that the MEC doesn't have the ability to be able to negociate with the employer
YGBSM! In order to negotiate you have to have something to give, or something to take away, a bargaining chip. Pilots can only give their labor, which they do every day, and that labor is the only thing they can take away. Without that threat the MEC has no power to negotiate with! The willingness of scabs to jump in deteriorates that power, and power in negotiations gives that party results.

As for discrimination, as has been said, it is ridiculous to compare crossing the line, which you have total control over, to something that is genetic, like race and skin color.

Crossing the line screws more than your pilot group. My father is a scab. And although I love him and treat him with respect and civility, I still hold it against him. He didn't "have" to cross that line, it was pure greed. In recompense he got f***ed by management for 14 years before he saw a decent contract. He also gave me his first name. Thus, my name, minus a roman numeral, was on that list before I could ride a bike. On that list are several father/son scab pairs, will I be trusted in the future? I don't know. Frankly, that burns me. Not that there is a list, but that my family should have it's reputation so blighted for his imperfect reasoning. His scabbing did eventually put him into a position to help finance my early flying. I love flying more than anything else, but others can't see that. If they put together the whole story they'll simply see the bastard son of a scab who had everything handed to him out of the mouths of an early 80s pilot group. A lovely picture, aint it? I've also had the pleasure of walking down a concourse with him, wondering how many inward scowls he generates among passing pilots.

The solution is not dispensing with that list. The solution is not scabbing in the first place.

all you Delta guys are guilty
As for Delta, they signed a contract similar to every pilot group in the country, pledging not to strike for four years. I think the boys from Atlanta would not take kindly to being called a scab by a scab. An illegal strike is dumb, and doesn't work, see PATCO.

You'll be happy to note that for the life of me I can't figure out where you scabbed. Since you're a Biscayne boy the logical assumption would be Eastern, but that doesn't make much sense as far as timing, it wasn't some backwater in the DC-3, like Wien Air Alaska or something?

Last edited:
Someone said that the scablist was for "days of old" or some poppycock like that...

Someone else asked what a scab is...

FYI to you both.

------

A SCAB is A Person Who is Doing What You’d be Doing if You Weren’t on Strike.
A SCAB takes your job, a Job he could not get under normal circumstances. He can only advance himself by taking advantage of labor
disputes and walking over the backs of workers trying to maintain decent wages and working conditions. He helps management to destroy his
and your profession, often ending up under conditions he/she wouldn't even have scabbed for. No matter. A SCAB doesn't think long term,
nor does he think of anything other then himself. His smile shows fangs that drip with your blood, for he willingly destroys families, lives,
careers, opportunities and professions at the drop of a hat. He takes from a striker what he knows he could never earn by his own merit: a
decent Job. He steals that which others earned at the bargaining table through blood, sweat and tears, and throws it away in an instant -
ruining lives, jobs and careers.
ONCE A SCAB, ALWAYS A SCAB - NEVER FORGET!
Below are brief notes about legal strikes by organized pilots.
1. Century Airlines 1932: Pilots struck to resist wage reduction by E.L Cord, the patron saint of Frank Lorenzo.
2. TWA 1946: Pilots struck over pay on faster 4 engine aircraft, limited by the provisions of Decision 83.
3. National Airlines 1948: Strike over aircraft safety and repeated violations of the labor contract.
4. Western Airlines 1958: Qualifications of the Flight Engineer.
5. Southern Airways 1960: Strike over wage rates at regional carrier vs. larger airline.
6. Rio Airways 1976: Pilots represented by the Union of Professional Airmen, an ALPA affiliate, struck over issues of seniority, pay, safety
and system board neutrality after failing to negotiate first contract.
7. Wien Air Alaska 1977: Crew complement on B-727.
8. Continental Airlines 1983: Struck to resist Frank Lorenzo’s use of Bankruptcy Law to abrogate labor contracts.
9. Pan American 1985: Pilots elected to honor IAM picket line.
10. United Airlines 1985: Forced by mgmt to strike over B-Scale pay rates and the company attempt to break UAL ALPA.
11. Eastern Airlines 1989: Pilots honored IAM picket lines against Frank Lorenzo’ s asset-stripping of EAL to favor Continental.
12. AFAP 1989: Australian Federation of Air Pilots at 4 domestic airlines quit to protect retirement after disputing government wage control
program. Some Americans, among others, happily filled in.
13 Comair 2001: Pilots struck over poor pay and work rules. They fought to end the second class treatment of all Small Jet pilots.

-------

I'm not going to make judgements about individuals whom I've never met based upon single decisions they have made. We have all made some decisions that we aren't proud of. However, I also believe that when you make a decision, you accept responsibility for the results of that decision. You know when you cross a line what the ramifications will be to your professional reputation, and to complain about it after the fact doesn't make much sense.

At the very least, those who choose to cross a line do not deserve the benefits that the union provides, since they are not willing to pay the (sometimes very high) price of obtaining them. Jumpseating is one such privelege.

Turbo, I've seen you other places on the board and I respect you. I agree with the other posters here however, about you comparing yourself to other groups who have been discriminated against because of things completely beyond their control. You made a decision, and I respect that. But I can't believe you didn't know what the fallout would be. You chose the discrimination that you now experience. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, or that you're a bad pilot, but if you really are proud of the decision you made, you should be proud to stand up and accept the results of that decision, including the union turning its back on you. After all, you turned your back on them first.

Cardinal,

I am sure you already know this but ALPA will issue you a letter if your name is on the list because you have the same name as someone else.

I checked the list one time and this guy was on it. When he saw me pull out the list he already had the letter out with a 1800 number to verify its authentisity.

By the way scab lists have more than their names, it also has there SSN, DOB, and what line they crossed. I recommend each Captain carries that list to check every and all jumpseaters.

By the way it is updated with the Comair SCABS.

Actually I didn't know that, but since I can't jumpseat it hasn't been an issue yet. Thanks for the tip. It's just the principle of the thing.

I want to clarify that I accept what I am and I deal with it. I am a captain and I control a jumpseat also, big deal, with the exception of our folks of 9/11 anyone who qualifies is welcome to it. I once had a MEC chairman welcome me on the jumpseat after checking the list. Enroute we had a very excellent and eye opening discussion for both of us. That was true professionalism and I admire this individual captain for his insight. As far as the discrimination issue I have never been discriminated against prior to the scab issue. Now I have-consequently I have greater feeling and heart for those that are discriminated against and they had no choice. So if there is good that can come out of something bad, that is what I am saying. Because of the experience I have a heart for those that had no choice, and I feel like I have walked a little in their shoes. No matter how hard you try you can never really know what another person is going through until you walk in their shoes. As for consequences I know many friends that lost everything in the PATCO strike and EAL strike doing what they felt was right. It is a tough business and you have to know what you are going to do before you get there. Would I do it again????No way.

Cardinal,
GREAT post. It took guts to admit what you did. You will always be welcome on my jumpseat (when it becomes my decision!). The son should not have to pay for the sins of the father.

This discussion is getting out of hand.
We have gone round and round with the scab issue, and I see no resolution any time soon.
This thread is closed.
Ifly4food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back