• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scaaary lookin F-14 missed on a boat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a host of questions for you military aviators on carroir ops.

I know the F18 has auto-land, does the F-14? It appears from this video that it does not, so it appears that there is some sort of ILS for the ship. How the heck do you track it with the ship rocking up and down? What are the minimums for a ship approach? RIO's, do you slap the guy in front when he does something like this to you? I would.

Wow,
Never seen a more radical wave-off in my years aboard the "bird farm". It looks like a pretty crappy day weather-wise and got "enthusastic" about the left turn when initiating the wave-off. Probably wasn't a big hit with either CAG paddles or the boss either. I've seen an F-14 in the "spud locker" on CV-63 once, but both crewmembers ejected safely (CV-63) and a couple of late in-close "power, POwer, POWER!!!" calls, but as someone said, it's another day on the boat. Always used to make my blood run cold when I'd hear that somewhat panicked tone in the LSO's voice. Meant I might have to go to work!

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

DrewBlows said:
do you slap the guy in front when he does something like this to you? I would.

After you **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** your pants?

I always bag on the few mil guys who flunked Humility 101. But even I gotta admit, you Navy guys got BIG STONES! :eek:

Minh
(I still bet I could do a night carrier landing in a C152, though. :D )

MOVLAS = manually operated visual landing aid system.

KigAir said:
Does the Navy adhere to any type of approach weather minimums while at sea?

Thats a good question. What if they are socked in for 250nm? Just climb back up and hold until the ship can steam to better conditions?

Patmack18 said:
Ever seen the footage of the T-2 that departs in close on a wave off, and goes into the island during CQ ops on the Lexington? That makes me cringe everytime I see it...

No, no I haven't... got a link?

cc

Foxcow said:
Thats a good question. What if they are socked in for 250nm? Just climb back up and hold until the ship can steam to better conditions?

That could take awhile. The AG's (weather guys) usually keep the ship in calm weather. In the Persian Gulf for the most part it's clear and hot as hell. We did maneuver a lot in the VACAPES around weather.

Latest resources

Back