Scaaary lookin F-14 missed on a boat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Foxcow said:
Thats a good question. What if they are socked in for 250nm? Just climb back up and hold until the ship can steam to better conditions?

Approach: Beefsteak 703 3/4 of a mile, on and on, call the ball.

Beefsteak 703: Clara

Paddles: Paddles contact. Keep it coming.

You gotta love it. BTW, the weather is rarely THAT bad in the middle of the ocean. Obviously, rain and/or snow can reduce vis and you can have low ceilings but you really don't have 1/4 mile or less vis in fog out there. Plus, the LSOs usually really can see you long before you can see the ship when it's really bad and they can get you in. Oh, and before anybody asks, my squadron callsign really was Beefsteak.

Patmack18 said:
Ever seen the footage of the T-2 that departs in close on a wave off, and goes into the island during CQ ops on the Lexington? That makes me cringe everytime I see it...

Yeah, the LSO’s like to show that video to you the day before you leave on det to go qualify on the boat for the first time ever. It’s just their friendly way of “keepin’ it real” :eek:

Kaman, were you refering to the 14 that hit the rounddown on WESTPAC 1994? If so, I was there also.

Anyone ever see the film of the plane- it's either a Corsair or a Crusader- that hits hard and rolls off the side of the deck? The guy stays with it and just hangs there in max AB with like a 40 degree alpha below the level of the deck. He accelerates in ground effect and eventually flies out of it.

Underwear change for sure!

my fav was a cold shot... cant remember type but the both punched out just before sea contact... and then the dammned thing flew away without them!!

My old squadron mate in Prowler land had a split 3-wire in an EA-6B. Slowed down to about 60KTS before it broke. Went dribbling off the angle. Seemed like a way long 1.8 sec before the pilot seat actually left the jet. All 4 out OK.
Working around the ship is the only kind of aviation I can think of where bad things can happen to you as a pilot and you have absolutly no control, fault, or warning like a cold cat or a split wire.

Latest resources

Back