• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SATSAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was in GMU a couple months ago and there were maybe 10 Cirrus on the ramp with no props, don't know about engines. Anyone know what's up with that?

Re: A no-brainer!!!!

I was in GMU a couple months ago and there were maybe 10 Cirrus on the ramp with no props, don't know about engines. Anyone know what's up with that?

The place is barely hanging on from what I hear!!They may go chapter 11 in a few weeks!!
Read the post from 100 1/2! Would you pay $700/hr. to charter an aircraft such as an SR-22??When you could charter a cabin-class piston twin for about the same amount,and carry 3 to 5 pax and some fuel to make the trip under IFR regs??
It should be a no-brainer!!!

The SR22G3 that I fly has a useful load of about 1038 lbs. That's with A/C and TKS installed. Not bad, but with a normal sized pilot and three normal adults, you're looking at an hour and change flight time with reasonable reserves. The typical trips I do don't demand more than that, though, so it works. The G2 aircraft that I think SATSAIR operates weigh considerably more as they don't have the lighter spar. We're talking like a 200 lb difference.

It's an interesting market segment. It has potential for people that are already charter customers and don't mind the little plane to save money instead of taking the Lear to Nantucket for $4,000 a pop.

Re: Pricey charters!!!!

No matter how advanced the panel might be on this aircraft,they,the company is still charging upwards of $700/hr. for a charter!!!!!
One could still charter a cabin-class twin for about the same money!!

That is pricey. We price it out a bit less than that and still do ok. If you know anybody that can use a cirrus charter up here in the Northeast, drop me a line.

SATsair halts ops

From the AOPA:

October 24, 2009 by Alton K. Marsh, Senior Editor, AOPA Pilot
SATSair, an air taxi operation based in Greenville, South Carolina, has halted operations “due to circumstances.” A recorded message indicates operations are unavailable “…October 24, 25, 26 and beyond.” The company had a fleet of 26 Cirrus Design SR22 aircraft. The suspension of services was not totally unexpected. Reports from sources in the Greenville area indicate five of the aircraft had been repossessed and did not have engines. Some of those may have been sold. Another report indicates 10 additional aircraft are sitting on the ramp without engines.
Callers to the company’s maintenance operation were referred to the SATSair office which did not answer. A third source said many of the aircraft had “timed out,” referring to the engines, and were awaiting not only engines but an upgrade to the newest aircraft systems now available in newer SR22s. Company officials were not available to confirm the information.
AOPA Pilot reported in 2006 that SATSair had placed 50 firm orders for SR22 aircraft, and held options for an additional 50 aircraft.

Re: Mgmt. Responsibility!!!!

From the AOPA:

October 24, 2009 by Alton K. Marsh, Senior Editor, AOPA Pilot
SATSair, an air taxi operation based in Greenville, South Carolina, has halted operations “due to circumstances.” A recorded message indicates operations are unavailable “…October 24, 25, 26 and beyond.” The company had a fleet of 26 Cirrus Design SR22 aircraft. The suspension of services was not totally unexpected. Reports from sources in the Greenville area indicate five of the aircraft had been repossessed and did not have engines. Some of those may have been sold. Another report indicates 10 additional aircraft are sitting on the ramp without engines.
Callers to the company’s maintenance operation were referred to the SATSair office which did not answer. A third source said many of the aircraft had “timed out,” referring to the engines, and were awaiting not only engines but an upgrade to the newest aircraft systems now available in newer SR22s. Company officials were not available to confirm the information.
AOPA Pilot reported in 2006 that SATSair had placed 50 firm orders for SR22 aircraft, and held options for an additional 50 aircraft.

Wonder why I am not surprised by this??It all goes back to mgmt!!!!!!!!

Re:false promises!!!!

Just saw an article posted by someone else that says this outfits closing down is only "temporary",according to the CEO of SATSAir,Inc!!!
I don't think that we can believe him!!!

Latest resources

Back