San Diego Airport closed for Bush

tired_pilot

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Posts
178
Total Time
5000
Nice afternoon evening in San Diego yesterday, I go up to Montgomery Field (KMYF) to buzz around with a friend in a 172. We get to the flying club and theres a NOTAM on the door saying the airport is closed for about 30 hours and its still closed as I write this. Turns out its because Bush is in town at north island naval air station 7 miles away. The airport will not open until Bush leaves San Diego.

MYF is a busy corporate and general avaition airport. Is this sort of thing going on all over the country? Im surprised more then anything else. Its overkill and a real inconvenience.
 

erj-145mech

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Posts
1,071
Total Time
1350
Its been going on in every location where the POTUS has visited since 9-11-01. Been NOTAM'd and No-Flyed to death. Last week at his Crawford Ranch prohibited area, a Houston pilot in a PA-24 flew within 30 nm and the Pres wasn't there, he was in SoDak. The pilot was escorted by a pair of F-16's, the sheriff and the Secret Service "interviewed" him on landing. Story is that the FAA will most likely suspend for 60-180 days.

The whole time that he is scheduled to stay in Crawford, there is no GA flight within 30 miles unless you have a discrete code and a two way communication with ATC. And that will not included local flying, just in/out/transit the area.
 

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Joined
Mar 9, 2003
Posts
2,291
Total Time
6000
And this will continue for the rest of the forseable <sp?> future...yes, even when a democrat is in office.
 

pookie

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Posts
305
Total Time
3000
That potus is not only ruining our military, but also the atc system.
 

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Joined
Oct 20, 2003
Posts
3,939
Total Time
enough
What does POTUS stand for again?
 

sqwkvfr

Baseball junkie
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Posts
1,673
Total Time
a lot
tired_pilot said:
Nice afternoon evening in San Diego yesterday, I go up to Montgomery Field (KMYF) to buzz around with a friend in a 172. We get to the flying club and theres a NOTAM on the door saying the airport is closed for about 30 hours and its still closed as I write this. Turns out its because Bush is in town at north island naval air station 7 miles away. The airport will not open until Bush leaves San Diego.

MYF is a busy corporate and general avaition airport. Is this sort of thing going on all over the country? Im surprised more then anything else. Its overkill and a real inconvenience.
Have you been under a rock for the last 4 years?
 

BE200Driver

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 11, 2004
Posts
89
Total Time
2500
pookie said:
That potus is not only ruining our military, but also the atc system.

If I remember correctly from my time in the service, Old Billy Boy wasn't doin' us any favors. And getting a haircut at LAX was helpful how?
 

HMR

I Live by the River.
Joined
Dec 18, 2001
Posts
1,048
Total Time
100+
sqwkvfr said:
Have you been under a rock for the last 4 years?
That's what I was wondering.

MYF is a busy corporate airport?:confused:
 

BushwickBill

Registered Abuser
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Posts
822
Total Time
more
Your all boring me to death. I went out and drank loads of beer with some friends from south africa. Bush is a freaking wanker and so are TFR's. The whole southern california area has been covered with the bastards all weekend and this week too. So get used to it. This country isn't about responsable people doing reasonable things anymore. Its about wankers ruining it for all of us. Go on duat and get the graphical TFRs if it really pisses you off call your freaking congressman dont bother us. Go drink some beer. Wanker
 

Benhuntn

Deer Fear Me
Joined
Jul 2, 2002
Posts
1,127
Total Time
>11000
"That potus is not only ruining our military, but also the atc system"


You sir are an idiot...

Sorry I don't usually respond to stupid statements...well a few, but this Bush bashing by inane junior jet jockeys is out of control.

The military is much better off with Pres. Bush than it was with WJC.
 

Otter

Master of Nothing
Joined
Jan 14, 2003
Posts
256
Total Time
8000+
MYF...busy corporate airport......Things must have REALLY changed in the last few years!

Presidential travel has always affected airports, nothing new, while the ring and influence has expanded since 9/11 net effect, if you actually do a proper preflight to include NOTAMS, its not a big deal.

Sure its a pain when you cant get home right when you want to, has happened at our home airport a few times in the last couple years, it is just part of the game now.
 
Top