Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DenverDude2002

Ramp Rat
Going to San Antonio in 3 weeks with the girlfriend, we will be there 2 days, June 12-14, and we will be celebrating my 21rst birthday as well which is 21 days from today (woohoo). I am thinking we will do Seaworld, has roller coasters, a waterpark, and some animals, and a mini brewery tour. Can anyone recommend cheap places to stay nearby, or anything worth seeing besides seaworld? We're on a tight budget, getting the 2 for 1 deal multipasses.

The zoo is cheap and actually a good time. We took my son there last year, but I may have had more fun. If there is a zoo in your town, consider getting a zoo pass. It is good for one year. You get unlimited passes to the zoo and several buddy passes. Plus, you can go to zoo's all over the country for free. That's what we do and it's definately a good deal.

As far as hotels, I am not sure what you're budget is. But, go to tripadvisor.com to get some ideas. We always stay at the Staybridge Suites at the airport. But I think it's $100/night, or so. There is a Residence Inn at the airport that is affordable and they have full kitchens. I can tell you that you want to stay away from downtown if you're on a tight budget.

There is a town (forgot the name) where you can tube a river north of town (about 30 min.) I hear it's fun if you're a redneck like me.

Let me know if Sea World is worth the money. I am going in August and trying to decide if it's worth it.

Buckhorn Saloon is downtown. Lots of real cool stuff. Look it up online.
Tubing in New Braunfels is great, if the water is flowing well. If not, don't bother. You get there by going I-35 north of town, and follow the signs or ask around. It's the big industry there, so everyone knows where you need to go. You rent a tube, tube down, and the rental company picks you up and returns you. Don't go to Schliterbahn Water Park. Great rides, but it is PACKED.
Fiesta Texas is a 6 Flags Park, and real good if you like roller coasters and stuff like that.
For night life, get on line and see what is playing a Gruene Hall, oldest dance hall in Texas. Some great regional or national acts play there, like Joe Ely. Neat place to walk around, too. The BBQ place in Gruene used to be decent. There are a few other restaurants too, but on the pricey side I think.
Want something different? Hit the Snake Farm on the west shoulder of I-35, going toward New Braunfels.

Dude,

Echo what the previous poster said. Stay away from Schlitterban, unless you like standing in line for 45 minutes for a 3 min water ride...

I love rafting on the Guadalupe River above Gruene. (pronounced "Green" 'round here) Check out this web page:

http://www.river-fun.com/#Forecast

and

http://www.toobing.com/

This ain't like rafting the Arkansas through Salida and Royal Gorge, this is more relaxed, paddle a bit, drink a beer, shoot a little rapid, drink another beer stuff. Lots of bikini watching. Just bring a couple 6-packs in a cheap cooler for the raft.

To get to Gruene, go north on IH-35 thru New Braunfels and turn west on FM306, then follow the signs. Gruene is about 3 miles NW of New Braunfels. Also in Gruene, Gruene Hall and the Gristmill restaurant (They are 100yds apart). Bill Kirchen is scheduled Sun eve, and Karen Abrahams on Mon eve. No Cover.

http://www.gruenehall.com/

http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/

Don't pass up the Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie, ummmmm!

And If you've never been to the Alamo, take your Honey downtown and spend a few hours touring that Texas Shrine, then go about two blocks west and just walk along the Riverwalk. Very nice, about 50 restaurants to choose from for dinner.

http://www.sanantonioriverwalk.com/

http://www.thealamo.org/main.html

Room rates available here:

http://sanantoniovisit.travelhero.com/index.cfm/subregionid/41/aid/142/index.html

Tell me that's not the psycho-bitch from last year.

Anyway, the budweiser brewing school at Seaworld is what finally made me get off my ass and start homebrewing. Best hobby I've taken up next to surfing.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Best hobby I've taken up next to surfing.

Where does muff diving rank?

Hit the river walk for lots of GREAT food and drinks!!! Ahh, i can remember the great 32 oz Margarita at the little mexican food place right next to one of the bridges...sorry i can't remember the name of the place...after having one of those(or two) you will hardly remember your name let alone the name of anything else around. There was a great nightclub right on the river just down and across the river from the margarita place that has 3 floors and different music on each one, so you can get a little of everything ( i think it used to be called polyesters)...hit this after you have one of the margaritas and you will dance like a madman. i have stayed at a few places there, none by the airport though...when i go i like to stay where everything happens(read that as, after i get toasted on the riverwalk i need to be able to stumble back to my room). There is the Marriott Riverwalk (something like $120 a night) great place, the Riverwalk Hyatt nice as well, and numerous other places.

Seaworld is OK, i have never really been into that kind of thing unless i have my daughter with me.

Never been to Fiesta Texas...New Braunfels is nice, and the tubing is pretty relaxing. I must agree that Schlitterbaun is not the best place in the world if you really want to go on the rides...like has already been said, you WILL stand in line for 45+ minutes for every ride.

For a more romantic dinner(also read a little more pricy, but still reasonable) try the Tower of the Americas. You cannot miss it in the downtown skyline, it is the tallest thing there, and almost looks like the tower in Seattle. Less than a 5 minute walk from the riverwalk area. Very good food, and you can't beat the revolving restaurant at sunset.

Try to make it to the farmers market(or whatever it is called) if you can. Good deals on lots of things, lots of them authentic mexican items. If limited in time however, this can wait for another time.

Man i really want to go back soon...I love it there, i would make monthly trips there when i lived in TX. Lots of fun, and many things to do.

Oh yeah, a couple more things if you are into it...There is an animal park just north of SAT up I-35 (again, don't know the name) like one of those open areas with animals from around the world...just imagine zebras and buffalo and various other animals sticking their dirty heads in your car type place. Right next door to that is a natural caverns place that you can walk through caves on guided tours and stuff...i think that place is called natural bridge caverns. Fun, but again maybe more things to do with the kids instead of a girlfriend on your 21st birthday.

Oh, I forgot: for night life, hit Howl at the Moon on the Riverwalk. It's a blast. It's a group of about 5 guys that trade off on stage playing dueling piano's, cracking jokes, messing with the crowd, doing other crazy stuff. I haven't been there in about 3 years, but what a blast.
Skip dinner in the Tower of the Americas. A great view, but it's getting run down. The Mexican Market has 2 decent restaurants: La Margarita, and Mi Tierra. Mi Tierra has been there a least 50 years. The bakery is very authentic Mexican.
And of course, there's Dirty Nelly's Irish Piano Bar on the Riverwalk. Another huge favorite. 1 piano player with great crowd interaction. Guinness on draft.
For non-Riverwalk or non-Mexican Market Mexican food, hit La Fogata, on the west side of town, about 2 miles inside the I-410 loop. Look it up.

Latest resources

Back