Safety Standown Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Semore Butts

I was talking to a buddy from American. He like many others, is very frustrated.

HE proposed this;

For the good of all of us, (In no particular order) American, Delta, United, Continental, Southwest (yes, I have buddies there as well who need it) USAIR, Jet Blue, Net jets, Flexjet, Flight Options, Citation Shares, JAL, Virgin, Lufthansa, Aero Mexico, KLM, UPS, Fedex, and all corporate flight departments, aand every other machine that is flying in the sky.

All of the management tactics and maneuvers are really getting everybody down. We are fighting with our nonflying teanmembers at all of our different companies.

Therefore, for us, and as a tribute to all of our friends and families that were affected by 911.

Lets just declare September 11, a Safety Standown day (As done in the military). Nobody fly, we all take the day off, and honor our lost from 911.

All of us step back and reflect on where we are, and what is important.

I wonder what the effect would be on how we are percieved by the flying public?

We are many in labor unions, but we are professionals??? Why arent we in a professional union like Lawyers or Doctors?

It wasn't my idea, but I wish it would have been.

Just imagine......

Thats the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Rich with emotion and very short on brains.

You mean the people who can't fly and are stranded at the airport? That's one well thought out plan.

The flying public doesn't care about pilots, mechanics,flight attendants, or the reason they are on strike. All they care about is "Can I get from JFK-SFO for $20, on time and safely?"

They don't care about the fact you've been on duty for 15:30, after a 15+ hour day before (starting with an 0500 van) and at the end of a 4 day trip, in which it's the end of the month, so you have maybe 24 hours before you have to be back out on another 4 day. God forbid you are a commuter with a long and difficult commute home.

Nevermind the fact that YOU were SUPPOSED to be home to YOUR family 7 hours ago, but the damn plane broke at a remote outstation, another had to be ferried in, then thunderstorms moved in...

They don't care about fog, ATC delays, thunderstorms, or mechanicals. They paid their $20, they want to be in SFO NOW. They want food or something else for free, they want a pillow or blanket for that trip ( .4 block) from IAD-RIC. And don't you dare have to divert. And heaven help you if it's windy and you land hard, that's all people will remember.

How many people holding tickets on NWA give a sh!t that the mechanics are on strike? Very few. And since NWA management was on the ball, they hired replacements before the strike went down. Scabs are bad, but I hope I am never in a position where I have to choose between my job, my well-being and income as opposed to standing with my union brothers. The NWA mechanics have every right to strike, but unfortunately, I think the airline will win this one.

Every profession ( or job) has it's downfalls. But if the guy at McDonalds screws up, they might be a person short on a shift, the fries may burn. If the IT guy messes up, people lose their computers, maybe getting out of work for a few hours, maybe the whole day.

And when the fries burn at Mcdonalds, people are mad, but rarely do they ever scream at the fry guy like disgruntled passengers scream at flight attendants and more so, ticket agents.

But with pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, truck drivers, nurses, doctors, if someone screws up, the possibility of loss of life is huge. But the Wal-mart effect on the USA has made it so that the only thing people look for is price.

9-11 Safety Stand Down

Mate,

In a word, NO.

Doesn't accomplish a thing ... that is, a positive thing. Albeit that I think Osama Bin Laden would appreciate it.

TransMach

Semore Butts said:
Lets just declare September 11, a Safety Standown day (As done in the military). Nobody fly, we all take the day off, and honor our lost from 911.

Would this, by chance, happen to coincide with a possible Netjets "work action"?

Negatori

Semore Butts said:

You must have been around long enough to remember the AA sickout a few years ago...

...bad idea.

The union got sued. The public was very angry.

The airlines aren't doing the public a favor by operating flights. They are providing a *service*.

Serve. Or quit.

double post. DOH

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back