Safest GA Plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jetdriven said:
there has not been one in flight airframe failure of a c-182 or c-172 ever. pretty safe airplane if you ask me.

As in...... nobody's ever had a wing just spontaneously fall off a 172 for no reason?

I guarantee you guys have ripped both those aircraft apart on multiple occasions.

9GClub said:
I guarantee you guys have ripped both those aircraft apart on multiple occasions.

Just an observation, at 12 hours flight time I would refrain from giving a "guarantee" on stuff you have no idea about. Last week your guarantee of a 747 not stalling at 200+ knots held up about 13 seconds. :D

I guarantee that I never give a guarantee unless I guarantee that the guarantee is good!!!!:confused:

9G seems to be awfully knowledgable for 12 hrs flight time spread between three aircraft.

There have been several fatalities in Lancairs, the original designer was killed in AZ 3 yrs ago I believe.

KeroseneSnorter said:
I guarantee that I never give a guarantee unless I guarantee that the guarantee is good!!!!:confused:

New Sig!!!!!

TDTURBO said:
There have been several fatalities in Lancairs, the original designer was killed in AZ 3 yrs ago I believe.

Lance Neibauer, founder of Lancair, is still around & runs the certified division, and the kitplane side was sold. While numerous Lancair kitplanes have crashed over the years, the certified Lancair has an excellent safety history.

It seems to me, that the designer of the Questar Venture ( a fast tear drop/egg shaped kitplane) was killed a few years back.

TDTURBO said:

hotwings402 said:
Thats crap, I had a friend that was killed in one in Fl.

Never ever has there been a fatal crash in a Lancair that carries a Normal certification. The Lancair kitplanes are a different story, those that carry an experimental certification are not even affiliated with Lancair that produces the COL3, or the COL4. So statistically I would have to say that these are the safest airplanes.

Last edited:
mtrv said:
Lance Neibauer, founder of Lancair, is still around & runs the certified division, and the kitplane side was sold. While numerous Lancair kitplanes have crashed over the years, the certified Lancair has an excellent safety history.

It seems to me, that the designer of the Questar Venture ( a fast tear drop/egg shaped kitplane) was killed a few years back.

He wasn't the sole desingner, the guy I am talking about disigned the fuel system and ironically ran out of gas. I am searching now for the specifics but it's late and I'm tired, maybe tomorrow.

siucavflight said:
Never ever has there been a fatal crash in a Lancair that carries a Normal certification. The Lancair kitplanes are a different story, those that carry an experimental certification are not even affiliated with Lancair that produces the COL3, or the COL4. So statistically I would have to say that these are the safest airplanes.

You are correct, no fatals in production Lancairs but 3 accidents in production models.

Latest resources

Back