Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyinT

Remember the Alamo
Heard coming in over the Bonham Arrival this morning.....

Center: Eagle - say speed
Eagle: 240 sir
Center: Candler say speed
Candler: 230
Center: Eagle, your 240 is slower than Candler's 230.
Eagle: Sir, I don't know how that is..

Just another day in the life of a Brasilia Pilot in DFW. Won't be long before the SAAB's will be able to rest as the Brasilia's are replaced by RJ's and we all stay high and clear of the 'slower traffic ahead'.

Blue Skies

Saab

It took you that long to realize that is our goal in life........to slow your "super fast" birds down??

Happy flying,

Red Baron

Funny, I didn't know that you could get a Saab to do 240. Must have been a fluke. Usually I've got to do about 210 to follow one of those road blocks.

Kinda funny though, when I was in the Dash instead of the Brasilia, the Eagle Saab guys up in Boston used to call us the road blocks. Guess it is all about the perspective.

Seriously though, I do wish the center could get us around them. With the way we at ASA get paid a certain premium pay, it actually costs me a lot of money to be following Saabs everywhere I go all month.

What will the 340 normally indicate in cruise at say 10K and 20K? What about if ATC wants max forward speed?

Thanks,

Scott

Its been a couple of years since I have flown the mighty SAAB at American's Beagle.....but the SAAB will definetly do 250kts below 10K, mid teens about 210-230kts, above that...good luck getting 200kts.

Mayday.

What's the rush? Isn't everyone getting paid block times? :)

Yeah the Saab's a little slow. But it gives SkyWest something to do, racing to beat Eagle to the airport on the West Coast. It seems SkyWest pilots have nothing better to do...no offense, one of my best buddies is a SkyWest captain, and we joke about the Slab and the BraKillia all the time.

I was following SkyWest into SAN the other day. I have to admit, I liked telling the tower I'd slow it up for the Brazilia in front of me. Talk about roadblock. Yeah, and I fly a Slotation...

Mayday911 said:
Its been a couple of years since I have flown the mighty SAAB at American's Beagle.....but the SAAB will definetly do 250kts below 10K, mid teens about 210-230kts, above that...good luck getting 200kts.

Mayday.

Are those speeds only in the descent or can you maintain them in level flight? Sorry I couldn't resist. The story I've heard is that a lot of AE guys dislike mgmt so much they just fly the plane slow. Can't say I blame them.
They are a nicer airplane than the E-120 if you're a passenger. No ducking and hunching over required.

Don't knock it till you flied it!!!

Every regional pilot I know gets paid hourly. Ching Ching Ching!!!!

So if you think about it, we Saab drivers are helping all you speedy kids to feed your families. :)

Umm...not quite. At ASA, for those of us who are under guarantee (ie reserves and relief pilots) we actually make more by flying faster. When we beat scheduled block, that time that we beat it by is added onto our base guarantee of 75 hours. For example, if a flight is sched for 1 hour, and we finish it in 45 min, I get 15 mins of pay added on top of my 75 hours. Over the course of a good month, I usually get about 6 hours of this "premium" pay. Really helps us reserve/relief pilots.

Coupled with that is the fact that even most of our line holders are blocked at less than 75 hours, and you may see what I'm getting at.

So basically, the slow Eagle Saabs cost me money, not make me money.

Make sense? :eek:

Latest resources

Back