S.W.A. to bring on Regional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mtnjam

Not starting a rumor hear, heard a rumor that S.W.A. was thinking of bringing on a Regional Carrier to fly EMB 170 or 190's.... Anyone hear anything like this before?

They better not after they assisted in the demise of Chicago Express.

(and before anyone says the wonderful, do no wrong, kumbaja airline had "nothing" to do with it....don't bother, because I will never believe it)

I would be astonished if it ever happened, since they are their own feeder, but for what it's worth, Jerry Atkin of SkyWest has been wooing Southwest for years pitching the idea of becoming a feeder for them. As with most things aviation, I'll believe it when I see it.

I've wondered if the Wright Amendment fight might drive Southwest to start a regional feed into the cities where American is threatening to leave. That would make the cities happy and might help get the Wright Amendment repealed. I have no info to think this will happen...just a thought.

propjockey said:
Jerry Atkin of SkyWest has been wooing Southwest for years pitching the idea of becoming a feeder for them. As with most things aviation, I'll believe it when I see it.
I agree with both of the statements above. Jerry has said in the past that he has spoken with just about every airline out there with respect to either feed or a purchase/merger, depending on the company. This could well be the source of the rumor. I doubt that SWA would contract with a regional though, since they could easily do it Jetblue style and fly the E-170/190's themselves. Though stranger things have happened.

WHERE would they "feed" in the Point to point system? This would not make any sense because of the current "non hub" system they run. They have proven the Hub and spoke system old and expensive, why change things?

Rumour confirmed TRUE!!

e170's for southwest. Not sure of the exact details however, pilots will have to buy a type in the 170 in order to work there! sounds like pft to me!!

The original Shuttle America, DHC-8's out of BDL was started by guys that did their business plan with Southwest. They spent 1 year down there in Dallas with the SWA mgmt types going over it. IN the end SWA said no thanks, and started moving further into the northeast, ie BUF, ALB, and ISP. The old Shuttle CEO really thought SWA was going to do it. Obviously, he was wrong.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back