Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

S. 65 and H.R. 1125 still alive (age 65)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And lets remember that ALPA is just one factor in this issue.As I read the info ALPA has sent out I think they realize what an up hill battle this is.Way more people/organizations are saying yes to 65 than ALPA saying no.

PLEASE! The push for a change has been a group of pilots who want to fly past 60 but are unwilling to leave the 121 world.
There isn't a huge groundswell for the change.

Ever heard of representative democracy? It's worked pretty well for this country for a few hundred years. Works pretty good for unions too. You just need to get involved and let your reps know what you think. When only 14,500 members out of 60,000 even bother to respond, the reps are left to think that the majority of the membership doesn't care, and then they are free to make the decision themselves. If the membership gave a clear signal (say 50,000 members responding to the survey with a strong majority opposed to a change) then the EB would certainly follow the direction of the membership. As it stands right now, it's hard to argue that the membership has given any clear direction at all on this issue.

If only 10 percent of the members decided to voice their opinion and 6% percent was against, then ALPA should say no. Those that decide not to voice their opinion does not count, since ALPA Nat'l would have no idea of whether they were for or against. For ALPA to say yes under such circumstances would be pure conjecture.

Even if age 65 is a foregone conclusion by the FAA, that does not prevent ALPA, should their membership show themselves to be against, to most strenously offer their objections. I am sure they would get company from plenty of pilots from carriers who has other unions or none at all.

Last edited:
If only 10 percent of the members decided to voice their opinion and 6% percent was against, then ALPA should say no. Those that decide not to voice their opinion does not count, since ALPA Nat'l would have no idea of whether they were for or against. For ALPA to say yes under such circumstances would be pure conjecture.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, here! I'm on your side with this issue. I've already notified the rest of the PCL MEC that I'll be submitting a resolution for a vote at our MEC meeting next week that demands the status quo on Age-60.

However, I can't really argue that the membership is adamantly opposed to this change if the members won't back me up by doing something as simple as taking a 5-minute online poll.

However, I can't really argue that the membership is adamantly opposed to this change if the members won't back me up by doing something as simple as taking a 5-minute online poll.

Actually you can, unless the polls show the majority for age 65!

Actually you can, unless the polls show the majority for age 65!

Yeah, I can certainly argue it (and I will), but that argument carries very little weight when the members won't get involved and voice their disapproval. If I could point to figures that show 85% of the members participated and 65% were opposed to a change, then my argument would carry much more weight. This is the same principal as PAC participation. The more people that participate in a given PAC, the more attention that interest group will get. The reality is simply that 30% participation and results of 55/45% against don't exactly indicate a mandate.

Oh if you are going to demand it, I'm sure they will get right on it.:rolleyes:

You'll make a lot more progress if you at least try rather than sitting on your ass and acting cynical.

You will be as cynical as me after 25 years. How do I know? because I was just like you many, many years ago. Now I like sitting on my ass and being cynical

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back