• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rvsm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yesterday our brain dead mechanic pulled the panel on a learjet apart trying to find the vertical gyro that I told him was in the nose. But believe it or not that is not the problem. While destroying the panel he disconnected the hoses going into the RVSM electronic altimeter. I can't even legally drain the static system on the plane without affecting the RVSM so my question is: Recertify the system or just shut-up and fly. He is not an avionics tech so does the system have to be recertified?

Contact an avionics shop and ask the question. Perhaps nothing more than a 24 month check. Then smack that mechanic.

"Shut-up and fly" is probably not a good option, especially if a leak has been introduced into the system into the static system. You don't need to accomplish a full blown 91.411, but you do need an altimeter / static system leak check performed. This has to be done by a qualified person (can be an A&P or CRS) using certified test equipment.

Yesterday our brain dead mechanic pulled the panel on a learjet apart trying to find the vertical gyro that I told him was in the nose. But believe it or not that is not the problem. While destroying the panel he disconnected the hoses going into the RVSM electronic altimeter. I can't even legally drain the static system on the plane without affecting the RVSM so my question is: Recertify the system or just shut-up and fly. He is not an avionics tech so does the system have to be recertified?

If he or the avionics shop people have not been specifically trained on this system and have not been signed off by the agent of service as having the training or can't show in their training progam that their personnel are trained for it, anything they do will void the RVSM on the airplane. Who does your 91.411 and .413 checks? Contact these people or the manufacturer or STC holder for information prior to making a flight into RVSM airspace. To move the airplane to a location where this can be accomplished get a pitot-static check and sign off and then stay out of RVSM airspace until it has been recertified.

When you open a line on the pitot / static system where an error can be introduced you have to do a reconnect / leak check on the system before you can fly IFR not just RVSM. As long as the test equipment has RVSM tolerances and the leak rate is within RVSM limits you are good to go.

An A&P mechanic can perform the leak check.

Last edited:
This is in your RVSM maintenance manual. Last year we replaced an air data computer, which opened up the system. You must have an avionic shop (RVSM qualified) to do your 24 month check before flying RVSM again. It will be another 24 months before it's due again.

HEADWIND

If you replace a component in the system other things may come into play. All RVSM manuals are not written the same. If I received a ADC that has been inspected IAW the FARs within the 24 month time frame and the paper work that comes with it says it meets RVSM specs than I can install it and do the check. AS long as my pitot static tester meets RVSM requirements and I use RVSM tolerances and it passes, than the aircraft is returned to RVSM status. If you open a line in the system than you just do the reconnect / leak check called out in the maintenance manual using the close tolerance pitot static tester and RVSM chart for leak rate and accuracy. An A&P mechanic can do both of these.

Latest resources

Back