• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RVSM with no Autopilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you need to bid the "home base" and get off the RNO base. You must be a prize to fly and RNO with... You know, there are plenty of Decaf brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Thanks to everyone else for the answers to the original scenario question.

I'm fine to fly with, but I don't think you would want to fly with me, because I don't like flying with people too lazy to look something up.

Funny our FAA approved COM, says "If your autopilot fails while in RVSM airspace be prepared to leave RVSM airspace if requested by ATC. Kind of leaves it at if requested, meaning they may not request it.

Funny our FAA approved COM, says "If your autopilot fails while in RVSM airspace be prepared to leave RVSM airspace if requested by ATC. Kind of leaves it at if requested, meaning they may not request it.

Two different things, your COM is approved by the Administrator as specified per the FAR and it includes this specific provision.

Being outside of RVSM and requesting ATC clearance to enter it when you do not meet the requirements is not something ATC can authorize. You would either need that ability listed in your COM or a waiver from the Administrator. If you ask and they give it to you, you are accepting an illegal clearance.

Two different things, your COM is approved by the Administrator as specified per the FAR and it includes this specific provision.

Being outside of RVSM and requesting ATC clearance to enter it when you do not meet the requirements is not something ATC can authorize. You would either need that ability listed in your COM or a waiver from the Administrator. If you ask and they give it to you, you are accepting an illegal clearance.

And you are going to tell center that.....you have no idea what there rules are and they do have guidance on all manner of issues that appear black and white in the regs....In time you will realize that very few operations are conducted under an off-the-shelf copy of the FAR's

In time you will realize that very few operations are conducted under an off-the-shelf copy of the FAR's

Maybe so but I find most investigations are conducted with an off the shelf copy.

If you want to contribute to the thread with some sort of knowledge I am always one looking to learn. If you want to jerk your e-penis feel free as well, it takes a bit more then a Metro pilot to impress me though.

Maybe so but I find most investigations are conducted with an off the shelf copy.

If you want to contribute to the thread with some sort of knowledge I am always one looking to learn. If you want to jerk your e-penis feel free as well, it takes a bit more then a Metro pilot to impress me though.

Actually you are correct if the operation under question was a part 91 operation....You will find as you move into part 135 and part 121 operations that most investigations will be conducted using the "approved' manual that the operation is being conducted under....That manual will have its basis in the off-the-shelf copy but it will be modified accordingly...

Actually, while ATC may not have the authority to clear you to operate RVSM, they do have the authority to clear you to "RVSM altitudes." If they clear you to, say FL330, knowing you are not RVSM qualified, they are responsible to provide you standard (non-RVSM) separation, just like the old days. The only gotcha here is that you must inform each subsequent controller, upon check-in, of your non-RVSM status.

Latest resources

Back