RVR t/o requirements/ Part 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

instructor93

What are the RVR requirements for takeoff under Part 121. It has been about a year since I last flew at a Part 121 airline and I simply need a refresher as I have forgotten some of the substitutions allowed as well as required runway environments.

Any help is appreciated.

OpSpec C056 applies to 121 takeoff minimums, as follows:

Standard takeoff minimums are defined as 1 statute mile visibility or RVR 5000 for airplanes having 2 engines or less and 1/2 statute mile visibility or RVR 2400 for airplanes having more than 2 engines. RVR reports, when available for a particular runway, shall be used for all takeoff operations on that runway. All takeoff operations, based on RVR, must use RVR reports from the locations along the runway specified in this paragraph.

When a takeoff minimum is not published, the certificate holder may use the applicable standard takeoff minimum and any lower than standard takeoff minimums authorized by these operations specifications. When standard takeoff minimums or greater are used, the Touchdown Zone RVR report, if available, is controlling.

When a published takeoff minimum is greater than the applicable standard takeoff minimum and an alternate procedure (such as a minimum climb gradient compatible with aircraft capabilities) is not prescribed, the certificate holder shall not use a takeoff minimum lower than the published minimum. The Touchdown Zone RVR report, if available, is controlling.

When takeoff minimums are equal to or less than the applicable standard takeoff minimum, the certificate holder is authorized to use the lower than standard takeoff minimums described below:

Visibility or runway visual value (RVV) 1/4 statute mile or touchdown zone RVR 1600, provided at least one of the following visual aids is available. The touchdown zone RVR report, if available, is controlling. The mid RVR report may be substituted for the touchdown zone RVR report if the touchdown zone RVR report is not available.

In circumstances when none of these visual aids are available: (Operative high intensity runway lights (HIRL), Operative runway centerline lights (CL), Runway centerline marking (RCLM)), visibility or RVV 1/4 statute mile may still be used, provided other runway markings or runway lighting provide pilots with adequate visual reference to continuously identify the takeoff surface and maintain directional control throughout the takeoff run.

Touchdown zone RVR 1000 (beginning of takeoff run) and rollout RVR 1000, provided all of the following visual aids and RVR equipment are available: Operative runway centerline lights (CL),
Two operative RVR reporting systems serving the runway to be used, both of which are required and controlling. A mid-RVR report may be substituted for either a touchdown zone RVR report if a touchdown zone report is not available or a rollout RVR report if a rollout RVR report is not available.

Touchdown zone RVR 500 (beginning of takeoff run), mid RVR 500, and rollout RVR 500, provided all of the following visual aids and RVR equipment are available: Operative runway centerline lights (CL), Runway centerline markings (RCLM), Operative touchdown zone and rollout RVR reporting systems serving the runway to be used, both of which are controlling, or three RVR reporting systems serving the runway to be used, all of which are controlling. However, if one of the three RVR reporting systems has failed, a takeoff is authorized, provided the remaining two RVR values are at or above the appropriate takeoff minimum as listed in this subparagraph.

At foreign airports which have runway lighting systems equivalent to U.S. standards, takeoff is authorized with a reported touchdown zone RVR of 150 meters, mid RVR of 150 meters, and rollout RVR of 150 meters. At those airports where it has been determined that the runway lighting system is not equivalent to U.S. standards, the minimums regarding 1,600 RVV and 1,000 RVV apply.

In circumstances when the touchdown zone RVR reporting system has failed, is inaccurate, or is not available, the certificate holder is authorized to substitute pilot assessment of equivalent RVR for any touchdown zone RVR report required by this operations specification paragraph provided that the pilot has completed the approved training addressing pilot procedures to be used for visibility assessment in lieu of RVR, and runway markings or runway lighting is available to provide adequate visual reference for the assessment.

Notwithstanding any other minimums, OpSpecs may allow other nonstandard minimums applicable to pilot experience and specific runways and airports in conjunction with the following additional criteria: Special provisions and limitations (Operative runway centerline lights (CL), Operative high intensity runway lights (HIRL), Serviceable runway centerline markings (RCLM));
Front course guidance from the localizer must be available and used (if applicable to guidance systems used); The reported crosswind component shall not exceed 10 knots.

Nonstandard minimums allowed by the OpSpecs require operative touchdown zone, and rollout RVR reporting systems serving the runway to be used, both of which are controlling, or three RVR reporting systems serving the runway to be used, all of which are controlling. However, if one of the three RVR reporting systems has failed, a takeoff is authorized, provided the remaining two RVR values are at or above the appropriate takeoff minimum.

When using non-standard, OpSpec approved mins, the pilot-in-command and the second-in-command have completed the certificate holders approved training program for these operations.

All operations using these minimums shall be conducted to runways which provide direct access to taxi routings which are equipped with: operative taxiway centerline lighting which meets U.S. or ICAO criteria for Category III operations; or other taxiway guidance systems approved for these operations.

Certificate holders may be authorized additional minimum ammendments based on operative equipment available in aircraft guidance system (See OpSpec C056 for details).

My interview with Skyw, they were asking my about T/O mins and said they had the same opspecs as us....Lakers, evidently they don't because I told him I could do a 600/600 Rvr T/O and if no rvr was reporting, I could go as low as, " adequete visual ref. sorry if I didn't spell that correctly.

If I recall correctly we could do 600-600-600 RVR takeoffs, if one of the sensors was inop, we could still go. We had to have at least 600-600 and adequate visual referece.

Waterdog,

Check those lakers opspecs again. You're saying you're permitted to depart at RVR 600 without an operative transmisiometer? In other words, if no RVR is reported, you're allowed to use 600 RVR? By the very definition, you wouldn't know what 600 RVR was, without it being reported.

Under OpSpec C056, you can depart with RVR 500 if the following conditions apply: You must have a touchdown zone and departure RVR reading available, or three if a mid is available. If three are available, one may be inop or missing. You must also have operative runway centerline lights, and runway centerline markings. In addition, both the PIC and SIC must have completed the certificate holders approved training program for these operations. Such operations must be conducted to runways which provide direct access to taxi routings which are equipped with operative taxiway centerline lighting which meets U.S. or ICAO criteria for Category III operations; or other taxiway guidance systems approved for these operations.

"Adequate visual references" refers to runway markings and other references which aid in maintaining the runway centerline during the roll. However, the availability of such references does not relieve the requirement to have adequate visibility reporting, or to meet the other criteria for the runway in use.

I have heard that the std ops spec was supppose to change to 500RVR but ours are still at 600 RVR. Of course our very southern FSDO tends to be a little bit behind the times.

avbug
I agree with what you're saying, you have to use rvr if they have it, all I was saying is that our rvr is 600 not 500, if there is no rvr we can go with the visual ref. i.e. runway edge lights etc....

Latest resources

Back