RV Rental with family. Tips?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BenderGonzales

The wife, infant-son, dog, and I are considering renting a 29 foot class C RV for a 700 mile trip in November.

We'll drive about 6 hours each day and stay in an RV park in memphis both ways.

We've never done this before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You may want to reconsider an RV and think about using the family car/SUV for a trip. Most RVs get around 6-8 mpg plus the cost of RV rental. And not to mention the cost of camp sites nowadays. The avg site with water and electrical hookup goes for around $35. For a few more dollars you could be staying in a Holiday Inn express. RVing aint like it was in the 70's and 80's. Prices have gone through the roof.

With that being said, I grew up camping. Ranging from tents to 35' RVs. Camping can be a great family and life experience and camp grounds are more family friendly than hotels. RVs are nice when it comes to the aspect of having your mobile life. You dont have to constanly repack your bags and you can have meals just by pulling over to the nearest parking lot. Unfortuanley todays economics have made RV trips cost prohibitive. My parents came to that realization a few years ago when they sold their RV and started do the SUV-hotel thing.

I own a 24 foot RV built on a Ford E-350 chassis. Gets 10-11 mpg. Yes, as a previous poster mentioned it gets expensive. However, a 700 mile drive with a bathroom, fridge, and room for Mom, infant and dog to walk around, sure beats stuffing them all into a car or SUV.

Find State parks along the way. Usually, cheaper than commercial parks, and typically more "outdoorsy."

Again the cost is high, but the memories I have with the kids are worth it.

You can always camp out at Walmart. My new wife and I have considered renting an RV amd taking a trip out west.

Latest resources

Back