RV-8 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dkelly

Hey guys, was looking through the plans for an RV-8, the options make it seem that the rear occupant seat is not equipped with brakes, is this the case? If so, are their any mods to add this option? Thanks, DK

dkelly said:
...it seem that the rear occupant seat is not equipped with brakes, is this the case? If so, are their any mods to add this option? Thanks, DK
There are very tiny rudder "pegs" (pedals) in the rear seat, but NO rear brakes. Very little room for your feet much less brakes. Since it is an experimental, you can "create" some brakes, but I don't see that they are necessary. Just have a lot of trust if you let someone besides yourself in the front seat. ;)

yeah.... no brakes in the back.. but the back seat is not exactly designed for a pilot anyways.. you're supposed to be up front :)

majic
-7A (fuse)

You really don't need to have your passengers using the rudder in an RV8. Very little rudder input is needed in flight; and if you have a straight 8, not an 8A tricycle gear, then it may be a good idea not to have them, since you might have someone accidentally kick one during landing and ground loop you.

You won't build an RV to make a trainer out of, and your pilot friends in back won't really have the urge to try and land the thing, for fear that they might F**K up what you took so long to build. I'm sure they'll be just happier than all get-out to take it at altitude and yank and bank it some.

But, then again, it's your choice. I would absolutely go for the rudder pedal master cylinders, instead of the one that feeds them both. It's much simpler system for the brakes, and a lot easier to install.

Good luck,
Flyer7SA

Flyer7SA said:
You really don't need to have your passengers using the rudder in an RV8.
I think he meant for the PIC to use in the back seat. IOW, owner/PIC in the back seat, checking another pilot out, who would need to sit in the front. It is very awkward landing the 8 from the back seat, definitely not the place for your first few in type.
I would absolutely go for the rudder pedal master cylinders...
Got 'em. I agree 100%

RV8 Back Seat Equipment

The back seat on an RV8 is for a passenger. If a pilot sits back there then it's differant. So you be the judge. Imagine some one in the back seat jamming the controls so you auger it in and kill your self!
Lee

Latest resources

Back