• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Runway heading

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you freaking kidding me? THREE SECONDS of searching the pilot/controller glossary will find you the answer. Wow.

These types of message boards are designed so we can talk about anything and everything aviation related. Regardless of how simple a topic may first appear. Comments like yours are often ignored and unwelcomed.

I'm guilty of starting threads I already knew the answer to, just for the sake of beginning an open discussion on an interesting topic. Weird, I know.

If you are cleared for takeoff and instructed ruwnay heading off RWY 32L, fly heading 320......All planes will drift the same or close too!

Nope, you fly the heading that is published on the chart. Just look on the airport diagram...you do have it open, right?

But you're right, it's about flying a heading, not a track. If ATC wanted us to TRACK a runway center line after takeoff, there would be a procedure for us to do that, such as a SID.

Runway heading is just that, the magnetic heading designated for that piece of pavement.

Pretty simple stuff.

Last edited:
Are you freaking kidding me? THREE SECONDS of searching the pilot/controller glossary will find you the answer. Wow.

I know the book answer, dumba$$. I am asking as to what the motives/intentions of the controller. I was asking in regards to separation. I know some who fly the runway extended centerline. Thanks to those with legit answers. That makes sense. My point was the heading vs. track argument.

Last edited:
Nope, you fly the heading that is published on the chart. Just look on the airport diagram...you do have it open, right?

But you're right, it's about flying a heading, not a track. If ATC wanted us to TRACK a runway center line after takeoff, there would be a procedure for us to do that, such as a SID.

Runway heading is just that, the magnetic heading designated for that piece of pavement.

Pretty simple stuff.

close enough....I was making a point as to you fly the heading of the runway, I didn't realize I had to be so specific.....********************, maybe I have to go back to OKC for some more training...

This is what I have found intriguing.

Bluegrass Departure off 18L in CVG. Says fly 184 HEADING to the 1.5 DME off ICIZ then a left turn to 165 Heading, radar vector etc etc.

The departure also sites a waypoint that is 1.5 DME off the ICIZ loc as DRUSS. So if you draw a line extending the runway centerline to a distance of 1.5 DME off ICIZ there sits DRUSS. DRUSS is the turning point right? So I just NAV to DRUSS and make my turn ... pretty simple. (It's also in the FMS as part of the departure)

But if you have a 20 knot wind out of the West, flying a 184 Heading as the Departure calls for will leave you East of the DRUSS waypoint.

So what I'm getting to is ... why the waypoint? Why is DRUSS even on the Jepp? The procedure is to fly a heading, not a course to a waypoint. I guess it would be wrong to "fly' to DRUSS.

Any thoughts?

I think the difference lies in an aircraft departing IFR on a SID etc and a VFR aircraft.

Remember back when flying GA, when you were cleared for takeoff and there was a crosswind, you crabbed into the wind to maintain the extended centerline. Of course you rarely got an instruction such as "fly runway heading...cleared for TO." This was especially true when flying patterns at the airport, teaching wind correction to students.

Flying IFR however is different and I think you fly the published RWY HDG. There are cases especially in Canada where on missed approaches they'll ask you to fly the XXX degree track till 5.0 DME.

Chuck you are the greatest pilot in the world. I need to know where you teach so I can get some dual from the Almighty Chuck; if you have any availability. Wow.

This is what I have found intriguing.

Bluegrass Departure off 18L in CVG. Says fly 184 HEADING to the 1.5 DME off ICIZ then a left turn to 165 Heading, radar vector etc etc.

The departure also sites a waypoint that is 1.5 DME off the ICIZ loc as DRUSS. So if you draw a line extending the runway centerline to a distance of 1.5 DME off ICIZ there sits DRUSS. DRUSS is the turning point right? So I just NAV to DRUSS and make my turn ... pretty simple. (It's also in the FMS as part of the departure)

But if you have a 20 knot wind out of the West, flying a 184 Heading as the Departure calls for will leave you East of the DRUSS waypoint.

So what I'm getting to is ... why the waypoint? Why is DRUSS even on the Jepp? The procedure is to fly a heading, not a course to a waypoint. I guess it would be wrong to "fly' to DRUSS.

Any thoughts?

The Collins 4200 database has this departure built as a 184 vector to 1.5 DME, and then turn. As an alternative, you could just fly 184 until abeam DRUSS, and then turn. That's why the waypoint is there.

Latest resources

Back