Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Running out of options (my first bout with the aviation blues)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WestHouston

Something witty
I'm not trying to whine in this thread, but I am nearing desperate to find a new job. I've been instructing for about 10 months but since I was part time for a while and I started instructing at 180 hours, my total time is only about 600 with 50 multi. My dilemma is that my wife will be taking a significant decrease in pay this August and my flight instructing pay isn't going to cut it. I search the jobs site religiously, but in Houston there is pretty much only large airline and large corporate flying. No cargo or prop charter to speak of. I even tried looking into pipeline patrol but found out you need 1500 freaking hours for the insurance for the one company I could find.

I really don't want to leave aviation and the only job I could probably walk into with halfway decent pay is a cop and that isn't too appealing.

This crashing industry couldn't have come at a worse time. All my friends are sitting in RJ's and got hired with less time than I have. (And to think at one point I was waiting for a good job!) It's amazing how the definition of a "good job" can change overnight... lol.

I guess this was more of a rant, but if anyone knows of anyone looking for pilots with my time, I'm all ears. I need to find something to hunker down and weather out this sh!t storm. Thanks.

Take a look at any fixed-wing air ambulance operations in your area. Many that use 2-pilot ops with King Airs or twin Cessnas hire right-seaters with lower times. And, some actually pay OK, too!
Just a suggestion, sorry I don't know of anything specific in your area. Good luck.

Take a look at any fixed-wing air ambulance operations in your area. Many that use 2-pilot ops with King Airs or twin Cessnas hire right-seaters with lower times. And, some actually pay OK, too!
Just a suggestion, sorry I don't know of anything specific in your area. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

In the post 9-11 downturn when being a CFI was really hard and students were scarce, I scrounged up a living doing aerial wildlife surveys for the Fish and Wildlife Commission. I also part timed as a pinch hitter for an aerial photography company. I also flew jumpers in a ratty 1952 Cessna out of a grass strip. (I didn't have the multi time to get in at a bigger King Air/Twin Otter operation.)

I also was a back up pilot for a news/traffic watch.

I scattered ashes, and even got paying flights to go looks at 4th of July Fireworks and Christmas lights.

I banner tow only because I had so many part time jobs going that I didn't have time! I was also teaching my one or two loyal students who were pressing on despite everything.

You might want to look into pipeline patrol where you are. They usually will hire someone in the 500TT range.

It's tough, but do-able. You gotta get creative, and sometimes one of those jobs will lead you into a better one through the people you work with.

Good Luck...

In the post 9-11 downturn when being a CFI was really hard and students were scarce, I scrounged up a living doing aerial wildlife surveys for the Fish and Wildlife Commission. I also part timed as a pinch hitter for an aerial photography company. I also flew jumpers in a ratty 1952 Cessna out of a grass strip. (I didn't have the multi time to get in at a bigger King Air/Twin Otter operation.)

I also was a back up pilot for a news/traffic watch.

I scattered ashes, and even got paying flights to go looks at 4th of July Fireworks and Christmas lights.

I banner tow only because I had so many part time jobs going that I didn't have time! I was also teaching my one or two loyal students who were pressing on despite everything.

You might want to look into pipeline patrol where you are. They usually will hire someone in the 500TT range.

It's tough, but do-able. You gotta get creative, and sometimes one of those jobs will lead you into a better one through the people you work with.

Good Luck...

Wow. Sounds like basically you were a flying MacGuyver. Yeah, I know something will turn up... thanks.

Networking = nepotism. There are jobs out there for the "right" person.

Right. Like a student of mine told me the other day; "My uncle said once i get my multi/commercial rating he'd let me fly right seat in his King Air." I wanted to choke him out. But, thats bad for business and my freedom.

I'm not trying to whine in this thread, but I am nearing desperate to find a new job. I've been instructing for about 10 months but since I was part time for a while and I started instructing at 180 hours, my total time is only about 600 with 50 multi. My dilemma is that my wife will be taking a significant decrease in pay this August and my flight instructing pay isn't going to cut it. I search the jobs site religiously, but in Houston there is pretty much only large airline and large corporate flying. No cargo or prop charter to speak of. I even tried looking into pipeline patrol but found out you need 1500 freaking hours for the insurance for the one company I could find.

I really don't want to leave aviation and the only job I could probably walk into with halfway decent pay is a cop and that isn't too appealing.

This crashing industry couldn't have come at a worse time. All my friends are sitting in RJ's and got hired with less time than I have. (And to think at one point I was waiting for a good job!) It's amazing how the definition of a "good job" can change overnight... lol.

I guess this was more of a rant, but if anyone knows of anyone looking for pilots with my time, I'm all ears. I need to find something to hunker down and weather out this sh!t storm. Thanks.

Good luck, it's a tough market out there! Are you specifically looking around the Houston area?? There are jobs out there, but unfortunately you may have to relocate.

Good luck, it's a tough market out there! Are you specifically looking around the Houston area?? There are jobs out there, but unfortunately you may have to relocate.

Well I have a wife and a new house here, but I told her the other day that if it comes down to it, I might have to move off for a while... I've applied at every place I meet the minimums at and haven't really heard anything.

So you have to pay your dues more than others. Welcome to the club. I had over 3,000 total before I touched my first jet. The rewards are there if you can hack it long enough.

Latest resources

Back