• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fckncrzy

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/38683352.html

By Elizabeth Braun

Story Created: Jan 30, 2009
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2009

It could be the end of Midwest Airline's 'signature seating.' An airline industry journal is reporting Mexicana Airlines wants the remainder of Midwest's 717 airplanes, the ones with wide leather seats, and is working to get them. Midwest Airlines Spokesman Mike Brophy dismisses the reports.
"Sometimes this happens in the airline industry," says Brophy, "You've got a lot of rumor and speculation swirling around, especially when there are a lot of planes on the ground."
The Midwest Pilots' Union is working to find out how far the deal, if there is one, has gone. The union's Jerome Schnedorf believes there's more to this than just rumor.
"It's not anything that we can control, so we focus on what we can control and go forward with it."
Midwest returned 16 of the planes last fall to save money.

Answered my own question, I guess...

Midwest could lose final 717s

Mexicana reportedly interested in jets

By Tom Daykin of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Jan. 28, 2009
Midwest Airlines Inc. eventually could lose its nine remaining Boeing 717 jets - jeopardizing the carrier's signature wide seats - under a deal being worked out between Boeing Capital Corp. and a Mexican airline, according to a trade publication report.
Midwest spokesman Michael Brophy characterized the report of a possible deal between Boeing and Mexicana Airlines, and its effect on Midwest, as rumor and speculation. Air Transport Intelligence reported this week that Boeing was in negotiations with Mexicana on obtaining 25 Boeing 717s, with the trade publication saying "most if not all" of those are likely to be former Midwest jets.
Midwest's main fleet in recent years consisted of 25 Boeing 717s, but the airline turned back 16 jets to Boeing in September to cut costs. Brophy said Boeing is trying to find an airline to take those 16 jets, but he said airlines other than Midwest could be tapped for additional Boeing 717s, which are no longer made.
Boeing is negotiating a possible lease of Boeing 717s to Mexicana, Boeing spokesman John Kvasnosky confirmed. He referred questions about the nine jets still used by Midwest to the Oak Creek-based airline.
Midwest hasn't been notified by Boeing about taking back the nine jets, Brophy said Wednesday.
Spokesmen for Mexicana didn't respond to requests for comment. Air Transport Intelligence quoted a Mexicana spokesman as saying the airline wants to lease 25 Boeing 717s.
The delivery process, which could begin by April, would take several months to a few years to complete, possibly buying time for Midwest to continue operating the nine remaining Boeing 717s.
Capt. Jay Schnedorf, the head of Midwest's pilots union, declined to comment on the report. Toni Higgins, the Midwest flight attendants union president, said union officials had been hearing rumors since last week about the possible departure of the remaining jets.
That Boeing and Mexicana are discussing a lease of 25 jets - equal to the number of those in Midwest's original fleet - is probably not a coincidence, said Jay Sorensen, a former Midwest Airlines marketing manager.
Airlines want to operate aircraft from the same "litter," with the same operating manuals, avionics equipment and special features, said Sorensen, an aviation marketing consultant based in Shorewood.

The remainder of the article is HERE.

Finally an end to this pathetic downfall. Damn, I'm sure glad that AT didn't buy us...that would have been horrible.:laugh:

Finally an end to this pathetic downfall. Damn, I'm sure glad that AT didn't buy us...that would have been horrible.:laugh:

Nice avatar eightdriver.

I was in MCI the other day and pointed out the window and exclaimed... "Look it's a flying coelecanth... a REAL midwest express plane!"

Yeah it kind of stinks. Great group of pilots. Truly a classy op. I hope they can make it.

DAL was in the mix too, but we did not want to pay what they wanted us to for those jets.

I am so glad Airtran didn't buy us and we were saved.... NOT, like I told everyone who would listen to me on the line, even if few of us got furloughed with Airtran we would be recalled sooner than later and we would had a much secure career, I am glad I don't work for this outfit anymore and feel sorry for all of us who truly worked so hard for this company.

Best of luck to all at MEH. Great group. Makes me sick every time I see one of those "furlough jets" taxi by in MKE.

End of wide seats? How about end of all seats. Because the airplanes go away the airline doesn' go away? What are they going to operate the airline with, with no airplanes?

Latest resources

Back