• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Man...What a week..

Ive read some of the various posts about the pilot/plane numbers and stuff and just decided to go and point blank ask a few folks myself..

I was told point blank..no BS..that we are going to hire AT LEAST 500 pilots in 2004...

I was also told that we just picked up 15 MORE 737-700s thanks to CAL not taking them..Look for more of these kinds of purchaces in the very near future..
The price of a new 737-700 from Boeing is now cheaper than you can lease a used one..

The rumor about a FA class starting is being heard everywhere..The time period of late Oct to early Nov with Nov being the most often talked about date..Lots of FA movement in the system with the focus on expanding the ranks in BWI..

Was told at least one new city with the possibility of a second and a new crew base with LAS being the front runner..

Was told that we could take 100 planes and connect the dots in the system and not open any new cities...

All of the coast to coast non stops are overbooked every flight..Look for increases in the long haul routes due to lower costs...

Flew a brand new 737-700 this week...Sweeeet!!

Look for more power for the 737-700s due to the new weights..

Everyone ive talked to was very excited about 04..

Mike

Dumb question, but more power for the new 700s? New engines or different variant CFMs? Will SWA now have different 700s with different engines? Just being in the pool, sort of confusing looking in from the outside.

Firstthird

P.S thanks for the info, always nice to get some idea of what is going on.

This is a guess on my part based on my past experiences with the 700..
Power can be changed on the engines with some paperwork and a few minor changes on the fuel controller..I was told years ago that it amounted to nothing more than a big screw driver and a couple of clicks more on some control..

I dont remember the exact details but i do remember while at Midway we had several engines with different power available and at some point they were all made the same..I think some went up and some came down but they were all the same engine and the only changes were to the fuel controller..

Maybe someone with more background with the CFM can weigh in here but thats my guess and im sticking to it..

Mike

Is that 15 more Airplanes in addition to the new a/c announcement of several weeks ago?

I was told that these are in addition to those that have been reported..No details on how or when they may be put into the system..Sounded to me like a last minute thing..

It would not surprise me at all if we bought up a bunch and just parked them in the desert to take advantage of the prices..

But..Herb hasnt returned my calls...

Mike

Tell me more! I saw the post last week about the training department being asked if it could get 1000 through in a year, any more word on that?

With 15 more a/c, what would that bring the total number of a/c for 2004 up too and what would be the required number of new hires to crew them?

I am changing my guess to Oct. 20, 2003 for the next class

Great news for poolies Mike.

When Herb returns your call....keep us in the loop.

thanks for the encouraging news.

I am still thinking 4th quarter for classes to start. any news on that rumour?

aj

Lets see..

Im trying to eat my egg sandwich here..

OK..
10.67 bodies per aircraft..I think the .67 is a Captain...Im still looking for that guy..!!

No details were discussed on when the additional planes may show up so i cant begin to guess on what impact they may have if any in the short term..Long term i would guess that every time we buy a fire sale priced Boeing the better the possibilites are of all sorts of growth..

If you look back at the history of SWA you will see that almost all periods of growth were kicked off by either a down turn in the industry or the ability to buy equipment or routes at firesale prices..

Right now we have all three happening at the SAME TIME..

All of the majors are cutting capacity..

There is no doubt that the industry is in or near the bottom of a down turn..

Boeing is having a large numbers of orders being re structured or cancelled outright.

And we have cash...

Mike

P.S..
I was kidding about Herb returning my calls..

I say this only because those of you in Dallas that read this board all the time..And we know you do..Might think i was serious...!!

Last edited:
The connect the dots plan will be the death of at least one major out there... I'm not trying to be morbid but the other majors haven't even begun to feel the pressure SWA can and will apply as they increase transcons and offer even more city pairs for mid size cities.

Two things for you wannabes out there:

Type Rating! (Get it now before the rush)

Rob Beeks! (He's good and knows SWA inside and out).

I rant and rave to you out there because the furloughed guys in my unit are already tired of me telling them to knock out types and apply to SWA and/or to apply to JetBlue. The handwriting is on the wall for the what the airline industry will look like in 2010, and right now I think it looks like a lot of Canyon Blue, Polka dot tails (JB), as well as some AirTran and Frontier guys shaping the future.

How about pilot interviews?

Any news on when interviews will resume based on the additional aircraft. Over 150 pilots over and above what was planned for next year... WOW

Latest resources

Back