Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor SkyWest Inc. receives new jet financing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left SkyWest and never looked back. It was the best move I ever made. Btw, PDX never has been a very big base and could at some point go the way of SAN, SMF or SBA.

That's good Jon. If you live in Portland, have family there, and NEVER want to commute, then by all means stay there. I believe you have three total airlines you could choose from if you wanted to have a Portland base, SkyWest, Horizon, and Alaska has a small one. If you never want to leave and have to fly in base, those are your choices. Now, if one airline decides someday to leave, and you are flying for them, then you might have a problem.

Another poster on here was talking about his friend who was a 10 year DL MD88s FO in ATL and never got weekends off. He may be like you, just wants to live in base. That is his choice. He might have a heck of a lot better schedule if he did commute, to say DTW on the 320. Maybe he would have twice the QOL and a bit of a raise (320 pays more). That is his choice. Flying for a legacy usually means choices, unless you are at the bottom. If you don't want to make the jump, somebody else will. Just remember, your current job and airline may look different in 5 years, and if you are willing to roll the dice, then that is your decision. Good luck. Btw, that story of yours about the TWA 767 pilot that eventually ended up as an AA MD80 FO and furloughed is a rough one. But for every bad story like that, I bet there are 5 good ones about people who left and are now very happy flying all over the World.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why do some guys try to talk people out of things they are perfectly happy doing, for whatever their reasons are? Why the need to force your opinions and experiences onto others. If they are happy and content, just leave them alone.

Any move you make is a crap shoot.

There is great short summary of the airline pilot's career. Think of the guy who jumped from SWA in 2000 for the dream job at UAL, or the guy who back in 1975 had to pay for this training in a DA-20, in order to fly overnight mail as a F/O for $400/mo, it turned into FedEx

In summary, do what you need to do to be happy. Staying at a regional isnt a death sentence.Our COO started at Skywest as a pilot now he makes the salary of more than 3 senior Delta 777 captains combined. Ballin!

On the other hand, if you're staying put at a regional based on what happened at mainline during aviation's "lost decade" you're being very short sighted

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I like the term lost decade, seems fitting. I'm just not convinced its only a decade. There's been plenty of false starts and boom to busts in my time in aviation. If I was 28, I'd roll the dice. Now that I'm in my 40s with an income over 100K and a good QOL, I'm pretty darn content to watch my kids grow up in person. I had years of my wife calling me when my son or daughter was up to bat, getting the play by play second hand. No more I hope. When folks here praise the majors as the way to go, I have to think its as much of a crapshoot as staying put.

I like the term lost decade, seems fitting. I'm just not convinced its only a decade. There's been plenty of false starts and boom to busts in my time in aviation. If I was 28, I'd roll the dice. Now that I'm in my 40s with an income over 100K and a good QOL, I'm pretty darn content to watch my kids grow up in person. I had years of my wife calling me when my son or daughter was up to bat, getting the play by play second hand. No more I hope. When folks here praise the majors as the way to go, I have to think its as much of a crapshoot as staying put.

Good for you Russ. If that makes you happy, then good for you. My point was that not every story about leaving a Regional is a bad one.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why do some guys try to talk people out of things they are perfectly happy doing, for whatever their reasons are? Why the need to force your opinions and experiences onto others. If they are happy and content, just leave them alone.

Maybe this is the reason:
It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.
Gore Vidal
US author & dramatist (1925 - )

Ah I see. Dont blame ya at all for staying. Smart choice IMO

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Latest resources

Back